GUN Review of a CZ75 PCR compact

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by phrozenlikwid, Oct 22, 2008.

1. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

So I've had this thing for a while, and I've put a couple rounds through it:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's a PCR, that's been to Angus to be reworked by him. Added a tritium front, cocobolo grips, and that's it.

First, I like the feel of the gun. Those of you who have seen my other posts probably won't be surprised by this - I have largely went to CZ pistols for all my pistol needs, and the PCR is just a cut down '75. I find it to be of somewhat similar size to a G19, though it is lighter and somewhat thinner. It is larger and heavier than a Kahr P9.

Sights are fairly decent, being a low mount Novak type deal. I personally think actual Novaks are better, and have pondered greatly cutting a deeper notch in the rear sight. Gun points well, is balanced, and shoots as good as I need it to. No F/F problems to report.

Cool pistol, but maybe because I'm picky, I have a couple bitches.

First..... is the trigger. It's good, but not as good as my other CZ's. This gun has Angus' "Street" action job, and the hammer was swapped for a '75 SA unit and recut. It still has the factory springs, and the Firing Pin Block was left intact (and not polished up). On CZ's, both of those parts fuck with getting a good trigger, and I'm kinda surprised/annoyed that Angus would have left them in there. While I'm not needing/wanting a crazy race trigger, I see no reason why it couldn't be like my production gun (which has zero reliability problems, uses largely the same/same action/trigger group, and is more better). I think it is entirely possible to have a DA of 5-6lbs, and a SA of 2-3lbs and still have a ultra reliable gun. I have some more springs on order, so I'll probably work on swapping them out, and I'll be ditching the FPB. I have plenty of positive engagement on the sear/hammer mating, so I'm not worried there.

Second is the decocker. I hate CZ decockers. I think that they make the gun harder to take apart/work on, add moving parts which can be detrimental to a good trigger, and most importantly; fuck up my grip. The decocking lever interferes with placement of my big meaty thumb with the traditional thumbs high grip. Unfortunately CZ hasn't seen fit to make the PCR in the traditional (to CZ) manual safety DA/SA configuration. To my knowledge (and I've asked) no one has converted one yet. In talking to Angus/CZ people, there is no reason that converting one wouldn't work, it just entails replacing most of the guts in the frame (and no one has tried it yet).

Lastly, there are several things on this pistol which I don't think Jive well with the target role (a CCW piece). The slide stop/release lever is a holdover from a fullsize model, and sucks. It's too big, too sharp, and sticks out waaaaay too far on both sides of the frame. For a fairly thin gun, I can't figure out why they wouldn't have came up with a different solution (or just fit the P-01 slide stop, which doesn't protrude on the weak hand side of the frame at least). Ditto on the lanyard ring. With flush fit baseplates (not pictured), this thing sticks out, and is completely unnecessary. The entire pistol could stand a dehorning (though the same could be said for most factory pistols), and I personally would like to see a higher cut to the beavertail/triggerguard.

All the above might sound like I don't like the PCR - I do. I just think it could be better, and I don't think I'm going to be replacing my Kahr with it yet. My first order of business is to work out the trigger, and make an attempt at converting to a manual safety SAO setup. That would likely allow me a better trigger (SA CZ's are sick), and none of the decocker mess. I happen to have a spare manual safety fullsize CZ sitting around, which will likely be pirated for parts. Depending on how feasable that is, I will probably break out the Dremel and work on the other areas mentioned above. As it stands, I think it is a viable carry piece, for someone who doesn't mind working with something in the G19 size range.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. sp00n155

sp00n155 You underestimate the insignificance of my penis OT Supporter

I think this is the first CZ I've ever liked.

And I had no idea they were made in the USA- I always thought they were some oddball eastern-bloc design :o

3. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

They are an oddball eastern-bloc design. They were originally conceived in the Czech Republic. Not completely for sure where exactly the manufacturing facility is now, but I'm wanting to say that they are still made over in europe.

4. JP

JP Active Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Česká_Zbrojovka_Uherský_Brod

CZUB was established in 1936 as a branch of the Česká zbrojovka Armament firm in the small Moravian town of Uherský Brod in Czechoslovakia, now in the Czech Republic.

After World War II all the firearms manufacturers were managed by a single central agency which required that "Any firearm exported will bear the BRNO markings", this is why there are many CZUB firearms with BRNO markings.

Throughout the Cold War CZUB manufactured a wide variety of military small arms including the Sa vz. 58 assault rifle, the Škorpion vz. 61, various .22 caliber training and target rifles and of course the CZ 75 family of pistols.

In 1991 the Czech weapons factories were "de-centralized" and began business as free market companies. CZUB was the first to move into the free world economy, establishing a small arms presence across in over 60 countries.

In 1997 CZUB established a permanent presence in the United States with the founding of CZ-USA. CZUB and CZ-USA continue to expand and dominate the small arms market world wide, with military, police, defensive, sporting and recreational firearms.

The CZUB factory employs some 2000+ engineers, craftsmen and business personnel, making it one of the largest firearms manufacturers in the world.

5. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

i heart my sp01

[​IMG]

6. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

What size are you hands S2K, and what's your grip like?

I had a SP-01:
    [​IMG]

Just have a hard time with those things.....

7. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

im asian so my hands arent that big, but the factory rubber grip is pretty fat....the wood grip that i got made it slightly thinner....i'll take pic of me hold it later

8. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

You said more better.

9. AB13

AB13 New Member

should have said Mo betta'.

Good review.

10. sp00n155

oh :o

It says CZ-USA on the side and I figured it was made here, not the importer stamp.

in other news I looked up this model pistol and saw the CZ 2075RAMI and now currently have an uncrontrollable urge to own one. CZ crew have any thoughts? What would I expect to pay for one?

11. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Haven't even seen a RAMI yet, so I can't comment on them. Noticing that they make them thin, and with a manual safety DA/SA, I'm VERY interested in checking one out. They seem to be more comparable in size to my Kahrs, whereas the PCR is more of what I'd call a midsize.

I do recall hearing a lot of bitching about the 40cal RAMI's a long time ago.... I never kept up on it, so no idea what became of it.

I like stock, used CZ's in the $3xx range, maybe $4xx for certain models. Check out "ManOfSteele" on THR and CZForum. He routinely has the best new prices of anywhere, bar none. I'm waiting for another deal on a '75SA, but his shit is so cheap ($410 for the last one he had) that I probably couldn't pass that up.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  12. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

a few months back, scheels had a cz rami p (polymer version) for 375, i almost picked it up :o

13. sp00n155

fuck, here goes more credit card debt and my first 9mm pistol :hs:

14. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

I've owned a RAMI for about 3 months. however, since it is still very new no one stocks holsters for them, so I shot it a bunch when I got it and then it sat in the box. I did finally receive a very nice holster (akj concealco-took about 2 months) for it a few days ago and have been carrying it concealed alot to complete my review.

cliffs of the review: best subcompact I've tried yet. very small, and still has 10 +1 of 9mm (equaled by glock 26. M&P9c fits 12 +1) . my accuracy in SA mode is as good or better than my G19. (my noobishness is glowing brightly here I suppose.) has been completely reliable, no failure of any kind from the start.

this will rival my glock 19 and sig 229 for my main carry, and during the summer months I suspect this is the only thing I will carry..

stay tuned..

15. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

do you have a g26 for a side by side comparison by any chance?

16. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

if its your first handgun, id suggest something bigger so that you can learn how to shoot correctly first before getting a smaller gun

check out the nato approved cz p01

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=28

17. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

I do not, sorry

I would guess the dimensions are very close, but I think the glock my be slightly fatter.

but I don't know

18. sp00n155

I've shot pistols for years and currently own a 1911 and G30, this would be a because it looks cool and maybe a carry piece if I like it more than the G30.

19. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

oh ok nevermind then :bigthumb:

20. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]