Review my gear selection...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by drumbandit, Aug 10, 2006.

1. drumbandit

drumbandit New Member

I'm a new rider and about to buy gear before my MSF class at the end of August (first time ever on a bike). I plan to try out most if not all of this stuff tomorrow at the shop but I want to order online.

Helmet: Shoei X-11
    Jacket: A* Stage Perforated
    Pants: A* Street Cargo Pants
    Boots: A* Ridge Waterproof Boots
    Gloves: A* SP-2 gloves

Comes out to just over $1100. :hsd: I'm willing to buy the best I can afford so money is not a problem. What does everyone think of these? Do you think it's unnecessary to spend this much on gear?

2. sofakingraw

sofakingraw New Member

Great choice, and I have respect for a new rider who realizes the value of their biggest asset to life.

Though for the money I would get a Arai for basically the same price, just slightly better quality IMO. Though the shoei is an amazing product.

For the money, I would have gotten the Ice jacket

[​IMG]

Waste of money. If you would like to stay away from leather for pants, get the Icon Standards.

[​IMG]

Better off rockin jeans when your around town and getting leather pants for when your on the twisties with your friends.

Don't even consider these, you wouldn't like them. In the same price range I would spend the extra 40 bucks for the GPS3's.

I had a pair and liked them. Only thing I would tell you is that they will streach a ton!

3. drumbandit

drumbandit New Member

Thanks for the recommendations. I was planning on getting leather pants but was looking for something that can go over my regular clothes for commuting. I don't have a pair of real boots so I wanted something that's better than nothing. I might consider Sidi Vertigos, though, which look sweet.

4. diaper eater

diaper eater OT Supporter

good choice on the gloves, i got em and love em.

not sure that they stretch a ton, i got XXXL and they were still slightly too small when i got em, but now theyve just barely stretched out to a comfortable fit.

5. acuraintegraman

acuraintegraman Member

I just ordered my gear from www.newenough.com I also got the x11, but I ended up with the astar T stunt, firstgear air 2.0 overpant, and sidi vertabra race boots as they're on closeout

6. oakie

oakie my ninja.

www.motostrano.com

if you're shopping for alpinestars, they should be your best friend.

7. huangsta

huangsta OT Supporter

i don't know about the sp2, personally i wouldn't go any lower than the sp1.

i have the gp plus btw

8. sofakingraw

sofakingraw New Member

Which are extreemly overpriced, yet would never ride without mine now that I have a set. :hs:

9. tickles

tickles OT Supporter

You dont really need to have any gear for the MSF course but I guess if you plan on getting a motorcycle soon its nice to have your own gear at the class.

gl and have fun :)

10. 7960

7960 New Member

Wait, he's wearing this to the class?

Get the stuff if you want but if you were in my class decked out like that you would have looked foolish, especially to the three 40+ harley biker women (who would have had no problem pointing and laughing at you). If that won't bother you, rock on, but you're not going over 10mph (maybe once) so the leather jacket/leather pants won't really be necessary. Bring your helmet and some gloves appropriate to the weather and boots and have fun.

11. drumbandit

drumbandit New Member

I'm just going to bring helmet, gloves, shoes. :o

12. huangsta

huangsta OT Supporter

good thing my roommate's dad owns bike shop :cool:

13. sofakingraw

sofakingraw New Member

Werd to that, I wasn't so lucky.

14. z31maniac

z31maniac *insert witty remark*

Good to see your not cheaping out on a helmet. I have an HJC, AGV TiTech and now a Shoei X-11, the AGV is good but the Shoei is fantastic.

For boots I went with Sidi Vertigo's after my first pair of JR boots wore out.

JR jacket and Dainese Moto-X gloves.

15. drumbandit

drumbandit New Member

I just got a great deal on Sidi Vertigos on ebay! :bowdown: NWT (but no box) for $230 including shipping...I couldn't believe it.

I also ordered an anthracite X-11 and the sp2 gloves on newenough. I'm hoping to pick up the alpinestars jacket on ebay too.

I can't wait to ride. Now I just need a bike. :big grin:

16. Chiron

Chiron New Member

Personal opinion: Only twats let certain ignorant groups of motorcycle culture dictate what they wear. Example, if you ride a Harley you "have" to wear a half shell. B.S.

Also, wtf is this 10mph business? A motorcycle is stable at roughly ten miles an hour and above. Now, by the end of exercise two you are supposed to be riding. So if you never breach the threshold of stability how can you ride? Exactly. What about Ex. 15 where you go into 3rd gear? What about Ex.11-Cornering. Get your facts straight. /Instructor rant

Back on topic: When I see a student show up for class in gear like said poster is looking at, I'm rather happy. Compared to people showing up in hunting boots, gardening gloves, and a 20 year old helmet (true story) you'll be so much better off. Motorcycle oriented gear can only help your uptake of skills as the class goes on, unlike say the gardening gloves that will keep slipping off of the controls and give your horrible feel for the controls. Get my drift? I like to see someone get serious about personal protective gear.

17. drumbandit

drumbandit New Member

:big grin:

If I'm going to be riding in some of my gear anyway, minus well use it when I'm actually riding a bike, eh?

18. Chiron

Chiron New Member

Exactly. Why not break it in while you're having fun?

19. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I plan to get a cruiser style bike, and would not dream of wearing ANYTHING but a full face mask, ever. Does it look odd? Maybe. Do I care? No.

I gotta go try on everything at the store though, I have no idea what size gear I need for anything...