Reusing a volume license copy of XP?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kazzander, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Kazzander

Kazzander I only got this for the search.

My desktop machine is running a copy of Windows XP Pro given to me by a friend from a volume-license purchase; I didn't have to 'activate' it, I only had to enter the serial number from the sleeve.

I was given a used computer with Windows 98 on it, but it's plagued with problems and the original owner no longer has the disk. I want to wipe the drive and install my existing copy of XP Pro. Since it's not a version that requires the separate 'activation' step, will I run into any problems running two copies once the second machine connects to the internet and starts getting the Automatic Updates?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:lockd:

:lockd:

3. Kazzander

Well, since the whole point of a volume-license copy of Windows is to be able to install it on multiple machines, and it's perfectly legal by Microsoft's standards to do so, my question doesn't fit the parameters of what's not allowed in this forum.

Now, do you have any help you can give me, or did you really just want to be the first person to throw the forum rules in my face and post the dancing lock?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you admitted you don't own the license, and the other machine is not covered by the license, therefore it is a breech of contract. not legal. and a violation of this forums rules.

5. Kazzander

So, the license was paid for by my friend, and my then-unused copy was given to me as a gift. Microsoft is really that concerned that they get another $150? You can't purchase Windows and give it as a gift to someone else?

And how is my other machine not covered by a multiple-machine license?

6. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

A volume license isn't a free ticket to install it on as many machines as you want, you still have to pay MS for each machine that it's installed on, just a lower rate because it's usually reserved for companies that are doing hundreds of machines.

7. TheRider

TheRider Geeky OT Supporter

Also volume licenses of Microsoft Desktop OS's are UPGRADE licenses not scratch licenses for reference. They aren't legal to be loaded on machines that don't have qualifying base OS's to begin with.

8. Kazzander

OK, got it. I'm off to purchase another copy of Windows. Thanks for setting me straight.

I suppose a thread lock/delete is in order.

9. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

They're really uptight about piracy down here, which is understandable because they're trying to cover their ass. You'd have better luck in the main forum where things are a lot more relaxed.

10. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

if it is a crappy used computer with windows 98 on it, your probably better off buying win2000

or installing ubuntu

11. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

lol, one thing i find funny is that the mac forum is more lax about this kind of stuff.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3842843