Retro fit SSD drive to MBP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Heimdall, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Heimdall

Heimdall OT Supporter

Well since Mac shack has been of great assistance to me in the past i've come back with more questions! :big grin:

I have a 17" MBP, 2.4ghz/2gig ram/160gig hdd. Today the HDD decided to do a bit of crunch crunch tick tick noise making which has since subsided but got me a bit concerned. This got me thinking, with SSD's being the latest craze is it possible to buy a decent quality 256 or 512gb SSD drive, swap it into the MBP and just install OSX onto it without problems or is it a bit more complex than that?

If it is just a simple swap what drives do you guys recommend? Samsung? or some other brand?

Thanks in advance :big grin:

2. Cock Diesel

Cock Diesel New Member

If your drive is SATA compatible, then it shouldn't take more than a simple swap. Dunno about IDE.

3. Blair

Blair New Member

4. Blair

Blair New Member

and you could probably just mirror your install back onto the drive with a tool like superduper

5. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

It isn't that bad as long as you follow one of the guides on the internet. How much are you looking to spend on an SSD? You know that a good 250gb SSD is north of the $750 mark eh? There are currently no consumer drives that are 500GB+. The only two drives you should be looking at if you give a shit about speed are the Intel X25-M (which comes in 80GB/$320 and 160GB/$630) or the OCZ Vertex (30GB/$130, 60GB/$210, 120GB/$330, and 250GB/$775).

I have an 80GB X25-M in my MBP and it fucking flies.

6. Heimdall

Heimdall OT Supporter

Cool thanks for the info :)

They're still that expensive? ouch, i've seen some cheap 1's around but have been a bit wary of them and I guess that means they're garbage. I wouldnt need huge storage on my laptop anyway so the huge sizes aren't really "that" important. Still works out cheaper than buying a new laptop :o

7. Blair

Blair New Member

i am in the industry and would only go with an intel drive.