Retro cars?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Mjolnir, May 29, 2007.

1. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

A thread in the main forum prompted this one.

If GM produced a new car next year that looked identical to a 1970 Chevelle, but had the 2006 GTO suspension, a modern interior, a ~300 HP V6 (DOHC, the works- no 3.8 shit here), full warranty, fuel economy in the GTO range, the full modern alphabet soup- VVT, TC, ABS, MRS, whatever, and a sticker around $25,000...

...would you buy one?

It doesn't have to be a Chevelle- Road Runner, Coronet, Comet, whatever.

My question basically revolves around past styling versus new styling. I think the new cars are hideous, and I think people would buy "old" musclecars if they were "updated", rather than homage designs like the Camaro and Mustang are now.

As a guy with kids, I would be really happy with a RWD coupe with all the modern amenities and old-school interior room and looks.

Your thoughts?

2. thedguy

thedguy New Member

So basically the same shit they are doing now with the Camaro and Mustang?

3. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Classic cars have timeless designs. Some cars like the Mini and Mustang, Camaro and Challenger should always have their classic, signature styles. That's what they are known to look like.

4. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

No.

The Mustang and Camaro are "retro" designs. Inspired by, but not copies of, old cars.

I'm talking about actuallt making a vehicle that is dimensionally and externally identical to a classic car, but built with modern technologies and engineering.

I'm sure some things would change, like A-pillars and wing windows, but ideally you would have to look twice before determining if it was a '70 or a '09.

5. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Tuners, aftermarket companies like Foose and Year One have been doing this for years. The old word for it in the hobby was "restification". IE putting a modern suspension and powertrain into an old restored classic.

6. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Right, but I'm talking an integrated platform with a manufacturers warranty and dealer support.

Traction control, crash testing, the whole 9.

7. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Something tells me that if this were actually attempted, it would end in a horrific automotive abortion. e.g. the late-model Avanti.

Not to mention impact standards, safety equipment etc. would be totally unworkable in most of those designs. At the least, putting in airbags would ruin the interior.

But putting aside reality, I suppose I would consider it.

If you really want a modernized factory classic, you can always buy a Morgan! :)

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  8. thedguy

thedguy New Member

I see everyone just hating on whatever company does it. Saying they can't be bothered to come up with new designs and blah blah blah.

On the other hand, if one of the "big 3" worked with an outside company that licensed the design, but provided a warranty and support through the dealership network, it may work out.

I question how many people would really go for it. A lot of those old cars are huge, but don't really have anymore room inside them.

9. kEVOgt350

kEVOgt350 Like a flashlight on but lost, my energy's there b

you bring up a good point. the ford gt, although different from the original gt40 in many ways, has held true to the original design and has been successful. i think this is due to the gt40 body style being so radically designed that even today the style is seen as new and cool. the reason this hasn't spread to the average consumer is because the manufacturers are targeting a broader range of buyers. the ford gt is going to be bought by rich guys and car nuts willing to sell their house and live in their car to get one, and that's fine because the price tag and demand allows for the small market. now do that to your common muscle car and who's going to buy it? a bunch of old school muscle car enthusiasts, sure, but more than likely a teenager is going to want something new and different instead. it ultimately comes down to how they can sell the most cars.

10. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

I got a chance to drive an Aero 8. It looks better in person than in photos, and it's a blast to drive.

11. AcidAngel_5.0

AcidAngel_5.0 Pure 0wnage

no i would not... and i would shoot the engineer and people that supported a v6 version of the car...

12. Pavester

Pavester New Member

giver me a modern cuda and i would buy it no matter what.

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Hmm. I think it could work for some older designs, but definitely not most of them. To be perfectly honest, the only older domestics that I like the look of, regardless of how well-restored they are, are the C3 Corvette and the Plymouth Barracuda. At least in my mind, the old Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers, Challengers, and so on, were all hideous and I'm glad they're gone. The new Camaro and Mustang look pretty tasty, though.

Then again, I stand outside at night sometimes smoking a cigarette and admiring my Passat, so maybe I'm fucked-up in the head.

Then again, I've done that with every car I've ever owned, so maybe I'm not so much fucked-up as I am overly-attached to my own investments.

14. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

300hp/300tq...

Who cares how many cylinders it has? It would probably have more wheel HP than the majority of production muscle cars since for every Hemi Cuda there were a fuckload of 6 cylinder and 318 Challengers.

If it makes you happier to imagine it with a 280 hp 4.8 V8 then go right ahead.

I'm basically asking if you would buy the body style, not arguing over specific drivetrain combos.

15. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

v6...pass

16. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

I'm bumping this thread because I think it's a topic that needs more conversation, particularly with the advent of the new Challenger.

If that thing sells at all, it would appear my point is valid- people will buy a slightly re-worked older design.

I'm hoping it sells every one built at full retail- no discount.

Then maybe people will start wondering where the Chevelle and Fairlane are.

17. Pavester

Pavester New Member

if it had a big block V8 in it. i would buy it. if im going to buy a muscle car i want a V8 in it.

18. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

No offense but why does this thread need more conversation? Are the big 3 going to read it and say "Hey, I have the next great idea!"?

I did see a show on TV years ago about a company building classic musclecars with modern drivetrains but I can't remember the name of it. All I rememer is that the cars seem to be done right and they were expensive as hell.

19. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i would buy a factory built restomod... but i also believe cars lost their soul(what truely sets them apart.) in the early to mid 70's.... give me a car with the stylings of pre-1975, and the guts of modern tech... and i would truely be happy... that's why i want to be the first kid on my block, with a new challenger.

20. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

It won't work.

The bumpers alone don't pass these days.

21. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That's true; a lot of the design features on the original designs for those old muscle cars would either be illegal, or else be made impractical, by today's DOT regulations.

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I respect some of those older cars, but I wouldn't buy one "new".

23. spooney

spooney WTF Sony?

I have thought for a while that the big 3 should come out with commerative editions of the special cars from their past. Chevy should have come out with a Bel Air remake with a modern suspension and drivetrain this past year. In 2014 they could have come out with an Impala, same deal styling exactly like the past but with modern underpinnings. Make them a limited run of 10-15 thousand. Just to mark the 50th year since the real legendary cars came out.

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

chevy doesn't need re-makes to add logistical complexity and cost to it's portfolio. They are doing the right thing -- consolidation, and re-invent their product line-up from the ground-up.

Bottom line is 15k cars will not get them back in shape. They need to move lots of iron, and they need to do so profitably.

25. Fareo

Fareo New Member

i would love to see this happen but on the same hand i wouldnt, becasue it would take away from the orginals.. but then agian id love to daily driving a new/old charger... its a love hate thing for me.

on top of that companys know that these things are iconic and with as much money as they bring at barret Jackson they know that they can bring them out as a "special limited production" and make boat loads of $. kinda like what they are doing with the challenger.

i donno, ive thought about this for years and debated with myself over and over, and my answer to this was something like the new camaro... while i still leaves the old camaros different enough to appreciate its familar enough to want it.... if that makes sense. which ultimitly is the right answer becasue instead of relying on the past to make the future, its making a new iconic future??

:dunno: