Retrieving Data From External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Seeker, May 11, 2005.

1. Seeker

Seeker Guest

I was going to make a rescue disk using IBM's Rescue and Recovery tool and I innadvertantly chose to use a USB harddrive instead of CDs. Unfortunately my 80GB external HD was connected at the time and it started to do its thing on the drive. Well, whether it was the right thing to do or not I immediately unplugged the drive from the computer. Now what I'm faced with is trying to recover the data saved on the drive. The IBM utility was only working for a few seconds so I imagine just about everything still exists on the drive. The problem is that if I try to open it through 'My Computer' it says the drive is unformatted and asks if I want to format it.

So I guess I'm asking what I can do to pull the data off the drive. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

And yes, I realize it was a pretty stupid mistake to make.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Cliffs: Started to accidently format external HD but stopped it after a few seconds. Windows no longer recognizes it as formatted so I cannot access the contents. Need advice on how to fix it.
  2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Mar 14, 2000
    Disk Management?
  3. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

Jul 11, 2004
    File Recovery Pro by LC Technology. They have a free version which you can view the data. $99 to buy. I've used it dozens of times and have had a VERY good rate of success.

Good luck!
  4. Seeker

Seeker Guest

Thanks for the tips. I actually found an article that recommended TestDisk and I was able to use that to copy the backup partition file and such from the end of the drive to the beginning. Besides Windows saying the trash can was corrupted at one point, it seems to be working fine.