GUN Rethinking my next gun purchases...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ices, Mar 13, 2006.

1. ices

ices New Member

I've recently gotten a "surplus" in gun spending money, about $600 bucks or so. Initially, I was going to buy an SKS, Mosin 91/30, and Mauser vz24. Unfortunately, the guy doing the transfer for me is taking an insanely long time, and I've had some time to rethink my potential purchases.

First of all, my main concern is Plinking/Fun/Targets/HD/SHTF. Notice, SKS, 91/30, and vz24 are all cheap, and ammo is cheap. BUT, they all take different kinds of ammo, and it seems needlessly complicated for just some fun. SO, I've thrown the AK47 into the mix. I realize it's less accurate than the SKS, and the SKS is less accurate than the longer bolt actions, so that puts everything at AK<SKS<VZ and 91/30. BUT, the AK47, I'm sure is accurate enough inside of 300 yds or so, so it should be fine for all of my intended usage (Plinking/Fun/Targets/HD/SHTF).

My MAIN questions are:
    1. What kind of accuracy are the "nicer" AK's capable of? Arsenal inc, VEPR, etc... Rommy "packages" are around $400, and the Armory AK's (with the 1.6mm receivers) are around $570.
    2. What do you think is more worth it? With the 3 surplusses, I get 3 actual guns, but not much practicality, and I'll get beat up shooting the two bolts. After all the ammo costs, AK47+ammo should about equal the price of 3 surplusses+ammo.

Decisions decisions...

2. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

AK + SKS ftw. Or just buy them all.

3. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

4. ices

ices New Member

I was actually thinking that. Cheap Romanian AK+VG condition Yugo SKS or "nicer" AK?

5. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

6. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Mosin + $500 of ammo

7. ices

ices New Member

I will one day, but as for now, I don't feel like I'm quite at that "stage". I'm still learning, and I want a gun that I can just blast away with. Later on is the time for AR's and modern bolts. Besides, pricewise, most ARs start where most AK's end.

8. Y2kAccord

Buy a cheap Wasr-10 AK and a SKS

9. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

I don't have any problems hitting anything with my ak :dunno: I'll have my ar together this weeked so I can do some "comparison" though.

10. ices

ices New Member

What kind of AK do you have?

11. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

wasr10.

12. Y2kAccord

That is what I think I am going to get.

13. ices

ices New Member

Cool. Any general thoughts on it? Wobbly magazine? Would you pay an extra $170 for a thicker (but heavier) receiver? Any problems?

14. Y2kAccord

My friend has two of them and he loves them, its an AK its always going to fire.

15. ices

ices New Member

Just to clarify, your friend has two wasr10's or two w/the thicker milled receiver? Since the AK isn't a hard kicker as it is, the lower weight of the 1mm receiver is probably a good thing.

16. Y2kAccord

he has two WASR-10s

17. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

I look at the ak as a throw away gun. It gets no love, but keeps on ticking. The only thing I have planned for it is a different trigger group (sheperds hook or whatever the hell you call them) It has trigger slap which sucks after awhile. I've only had problem with 1 magazine being wobbly everything else was a tight fit. You can't go wrong for the price. Ammo is getting harder to find now and more expensive though.

18. acabrera

acabrera Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

I have a VEPR and they are as accurate as you can get on an AK. Inside of 300 you'll be more than fine.

19. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Out of them all the VEPR will give the best accuracy, 308 223 5.45 7.62 in that order as far as best accurcy, Arsenal is also pretty good I want one of there 5.45 rifles, I wouldnt pay anymore then $300 for any of the WASR's and no more then $350 for an SAR, anymore then that I'de rather just get an Arsenal. 7.62 will have no problems hitting targets out to 300 yards, 5.45 you can get out to 400, or even a bit more with optic's.

20. ices

ices New Member

There was actually a question that I had but I had forgotten about it until I read your post. The 5.45x39 is slightly thinner, but longer, and slightly heavier but slower than a 5.56x45. The 7.62x39 is thicker, longer, heavier, and much slower than a 5.56x45. In terms of muzzle energy, the 7.62x39>5.56x45>5.45x39. The 5.56 is lighter and all that jazz, while the 7.62 is a more substantial bullet with a bigger hole. I was wondering where the 5.45 has it's place. It has less velocity and energy than the 5.56, and it makes a smaller hole than the 7.62. It is also less available than both the 5.56 and 7.62. Is the only benefit of the 5.45 the fact that it tumbles upon impact?

21. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Availability of it is slightly less then 7.62 mostly because there's no U.S. makers of it but theres a bunch of others who make it (wolf,silver bear, s&b, tiger, etc) price wise its the same as 7.62 usually, the correct rounds with the air pocket which you dont see very often in the U.S. do cause a pretty wicked wound channel, it shoots alot straighter then 7.62 though I own a couple rifles in 5.45 and a few in 7.62 I defintly prefer 5.45 more accurate almost no kick for immediate follow up shots. For mostly range with back up HD, SHTF use in mind I'de prefer the 5.45 round over 7.62, if your going to do anything bigger then small game hunting I'de go with 7.62, on some of the other boards im on people have had no problems using 5.45 on hogs and coyotes, think one guy even got a deer with it but depending on state laws 5.45 may be illegal for deer.

22. ices

ices New Member

Squid, where are you getting these prices? I live in MD so prices are usually a bit higher than other states, but even AIM has romanians for $320+. You definately got it right about wanting to upgrade to a nicer AK when they're only about 100 bucks cheaper.

I heard about 7.62x39 getting more plentiful around March, but I have yet to see prices drop. Have there been any updates?

23. Y2kAccord

He doesnt think highly of Wasr so he says he wont pay more than a number that is below market value.. most high cap Wasr-10s run in the mid 300 range to 400 for folding stocks.

24. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've heard the same about ammo, not March specifically but Spring, If you keep an eye on AIM they have specials once in awhile I got a WASR2 from them in Dec or Jan for $280, got some catologs at home from a few people I haven't gone through yet to check on prices. Nothing wrong with the Romanians if you get a good one, I hate buying them mailorder though cause you cannt checkem out beforehand, I bought my SAR's local and WASR was only thing i had to get through my FFL I got lucky and its got no trigger slap and sights are straight, but if you end up getting one with trigger slap your going to end up spending another $40-80 for new trigger group, sights are canted you can fix yourself although its a pain, I just think its a better idea to go with someone like Arsenal who will stand behind there product, and I've yet to hear of anyone who recieved one with problems. Any time you buy a gun that comes through Century's hands your taking a risk IMO, they're known to fuck up the Rommy rifles, CETME's, etc.

25. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have a WASR, not saying there bad rifles, its just that I dont trust the idiots at Century who did the work on them. I've seen a couple WASR's with underfolders on them, those ok I'de pay more for one of them just cause of the trunion on it, sidefolder either rommy wire or tapco fuck no not worth the extra money IMO.
    $350, I'de rather go over to arfcom onto the EE and find a used SAR with a few mags and new furniture on it or a MAK90.