A&P Results from First Auto-X Pics

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Wthermans, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Wthermans

Wthermans What does "New High Score" mean? Is that bad? Di

This past weekend, I went out to a local Auto-X and filled my memory card with some pics. All of them were shot in Sport mode and most of them came out with a lot of noise. I assume my ISO was set to high. All pics were taken on a tripod without flash and I have cropped them and done no touch-up in Photoshop (I really need to learn how to use it for Digital Photos). Any advice is most appreciated as I would like to get some really good action shots. My camera is the D70. Here is the link. http://www.fototime.com/inv/9D46CA3A3A88439

2. Twisted

Twisted Beauty in motion.....

You need to get out of the "auto modes" to get the most out of your camera. The "sport mode" you are using generally opens the lens up as much as it can to get you the fastest shutter speed which freezes the action. While not bad for some sports, with cars you want to show some kind of motion. Especially when panning.

If you want to just experiment a little and learn. At the next autoX only use the sport mode when the car is coming towards or driving away. It works really well if the car is hammering a corner so you get the feal of action because of it leaning or a tire off the ground.

When trying to pan what I would do is go to Shutter Priority mode and set it at about 1/100 and do some panning. If the cars are going relatively slow you can slow the shutter down to 1/80 or so. I try to not go much slower than that cause it makes for more blurry car shots. If they are going pretty fast you can speed the shutter up to around 1/125 or so. Play with those settings and panning and you'll get a feel for it.

3. Wthermans

Thanks so much for the help. I'm still trying to get a feel for the camera and I'm relatively new to photography.

4. sony

sony Active Member

I'm guessing you need a longer lens because some of those look heavily cropped. Not a bad start though. :o

5. Wthermans

Yeah I was fully zoomed for all of the pics (Kit lens). I got there kinda late so I didn't get to find a good spot to take pictures from. A longer lens would be good to have though. Anyone have any recommendations?