Restoring plastic/rubber trim from sun fade?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by RubiconSahara, Nov 5, 2007.

1. RubiconSahara

RubiconSahara OT Supporter

I bought my wife a 2004 GTO about a month ago and there are a few small things I want to correct or replace on it.

The previous owner as well as my wife and I park(ed) the car outside year round. Some of the rubber seals around the glass and the gas door have faded gray. See pic.

[​IMG]

Secondly, the hood squiters are really faded to the point the are light gray now. This really irritates me and I either need to replace them or get them dyed black again.
    [​IMG]

Lastly, the cowl plastic is showing some signs of fading.

What are my options here? I read somewhere about trying black shoe polish, but I wanted to check here before I do anything.

2. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

im not sure about shoe polish as i never tried that before but i have had good luck with this stuff called "forever black".. make sure you clean off the surface really really good with the cleaner it comes with and then do it in the garage where its nice and cool or else it'll streak. oh, and mask off everything really well because this stuff sticks to body paint like crazy!

3. RubiconSahara

RubiconSahara OT Supporter

How's that stand up to fading? I read on http://www.autopia.org/ that it fades in a few weeks. Thanks for the comment.

4. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Poorboys trim restorer

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

The Ultima Tire and Trim dressing is very good, lasts several weeks. It seems to have a cumulative effect; continue to use it and it should bring back the finish enough you won't have to use it as often. Pricey stuff though, $40 a bottle. A little goes a long way though.

6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

I've used Mother's Back to Black and it does an ok job. You just need to reapply after washing.

7. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

What? Are you sure its Forever black and not Black Again or other dressings? Forever black is a dye... I done my door handles on my truck (kept outside), which was very oxidated before, and its been almost a year and no signs of it fading.. still black as ever !

8. the_moose914

the_moose914 Bimmer Crew

Kiwi leather dye, its awesome