restoring a muscle car

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by amac88, Sep 19, 2007.

1. amac88

amac88 New Member

Its been a dream of mine since I was about ten to restore an older car, Im 19 now. I dont know exactly what I want though. Likely it would be from the 60s-70s, but what should I know before seriously getting into it? How long does it take to fully resotre one? What are some general things I should know?

2. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Restoring a muscle car can take anywhere from a few months, to a few years, or longer. It all depends on what condition your car was in when you started, and how thoroughly you want to restore it. It also has a lot to do with how much time and money you can dedicate to the project. All of these are going to have an effect on how long it takes.

As for what you should know...that depends on how much work you want to do yourself. Best advice I can give you is to pick a popular muscle car to restore for your first, ie: a mustang. There are countless books out there about restoring classic mustangs, so read them. After you've done that car, then you will have a fairly solid foundation of knowledge to work on some less popular vehicles. The principles are all the same, but having a book there to show you step by step is, imo, indispensable on the first project. Plus, you can get an old 6 cylinder mustang coupe pretty darn cheap in driveable condition.

3. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

You better know what you are doing or you are going to spend a boatload of money.

4. If you want a cost and time estimate, do your best to figure a budget and schedule, and then triple it.