Restoration

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Perkwunos, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

In another thread this topic was brought up, and i ammcurious as to how one can go about this. How helpfull is it to sit in a jacuzzi or have a massage, or any form/technique of this. Someone got some links to articlwes or just some info?
    :cool:

2. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

work kinks out of your body, promote circulation around muscles, etc

3. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

bumpy for anyone with knowledge?

4. SteveO

SteveO Guest

I've heard good and bad about hot water/jacuzzi after a workout, but don't recall any of the negative effects

5. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

i have no idea about the negative effects (if any) but i love coming home after the gym and jumping right into the hot tub.

i heard from a masseuse that you shouldnt get a massage when you are extremely sore. I remember some time last summer I jumped right into a crazy leg workout after taking a couple months off and went back to the old volume. after 4 days i still couldnt walk right, sit down right, etc.. i went to a masseuse and she wouldnt give me a massage, said releasing too much lactic acid at one time can be a bad thing (if I recall correctly)

6. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

I brought up the point of restoration in that thread because it is the overarching characteristic of any real program.

let me quote Mel Siff becasue this is where I started really paying attention to how important restoration is in a program.

...In integrrating research and practice as part of a highly successful training system, the Russians usually recognize three classes of restoration (Siff & Yessis, 1992):

• Pedagogical (coaching) restoration, which employs carefully periodized programs to optimise the balance between training stresses and natural recuperative processes. Appropriate combinational training, known in the West as 'cross training', as well as active rest fall into this category. Low intensity cyclical, rhythmical, circulatory or cardiovascular activities can also be very useful for promoting recovery after demanding training sessions. .....
    • Medico-Biological restoration, which covers a broad spectrum of theraputic measures offered by medical and allied practitioners. Sometimes this category is subdivided into physiotheraputic and pharmacological measures, and includes massage, acupuncture, and technilogical therapy. Some workers subdivide physical measures into natural means (e.g. massage, showers, heat, sunlight, and training outdoors) and additional means (such as electrostimulation, electrosleep, diathermy, acupuncture, baro-chambers, laser therapy, and ultrasound). Similarly, pharmacological means can be subdivided into natural and synthetic means.
    • Psychological restoration, which involves the management of the mental state. Techniques include hypnosis, self hypnosis, auto suggestion, autogenics, visualization, progressive relaxation, guided imagery, music therapy and learning techniques. .....

so that is a basic rundown of the other restorative methods out there. Basically, what should be taken from this is that there are several different types of restoration starting with a well periodized routine and continuing with active recovery and possibly tems, barics, and other more advanced methods. You should notice that pharmacological means are only one of many ways to improve and speed up the supercomposition effects.

7. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

tems and barics what are these?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.