WEB Restaurant website

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by :eek5:, Oct 31, 2007.

1. :eek5:

:eek5: i OT Supporter

My friend wants to set up a website where people can place their lunch orders online before the lunch rush. My idea is to set up a simple drop-down menu interface along with a text box for customers to type special instructions, if they have any. I'll store these orders in a database, and my friend's browser will point to a page that displays all orders for the current day.

My question is: is there a simple way to have my webpage refresh or possibly give some sort of popup notification when a new order has been placed?

2. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Yes.
    Code:
    [B][COLOR=#000000]<meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="n;url">
    [/COLOR][/B]
    Replace n with a number of seconds to wait and url with the current page's address so it will just continue reloading it.

3. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

an AJAX solution would fit the bill perfectly.

pm me if you need help

4. 05s4

05s4 Active Member

5. Tony Stark

Tony Stark John McCain has an illegitimate mexican baby

make sure to implement the payment there..or your friend is giong to end up with a ton of food thats not going to get picked up

6. :eek5:

:eek5: i OT Supporter

Actually I was hoping for something that refreshes/notifies when once an order is placed, but thank you for the suggestion. If all else fails I will go with this :bowdown:
    AJAX sounds like the right solution, unfortunately I've never really looked at it. Hopefully it isn't too complicated... if I get stumped I may take you up on your offer and shoot you a PM.
    Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
    Right now my friend is only planning on opening the website up to a nearby company whose employees order on a daily basis. As of now, we're planning on having the website keep a running tab and the customers will be able to come by at the end of each week to pay it off.

However we do plan on eventually implementing some sort of payment system for other customers. Do you know of any suggestions?

7. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member