Response Frequencies

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Claydus, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Claydus

Claydus Active Member

What are some good response frequencies for affordable car speakers?

Is this good 65Hz-18kHz? What about 30Hz-30kHz?

Where can i find out more about response frequencies?

2. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

What do you want to know about the frequencies? All it means is the speakers will reprouduce sounds in that freq. range. 30kz-30khz is better. You really can't hear below 20hz, and I believe above 20khz, which is really freaking high.

3. 04

04 Guest

The first thing to realize is that many of the response frequencies are made up in the first place. They dont give an indication over how many decibels the range falls in.

Second, once you put the speakers in the car, the repsponse is going to change dramatically anyways.

The thing is, typically with car speakers, the specs that they provide the average consumer dont actually show anything, and are all just marketing hyperbole.

4. Claydus

Claydus Active Member

Well damn..... Kenwood avertises a certain 6 1/2 speaker and they state that is frequency response is 30Hz-30kHz.

And Focal claims 65Hz-18kHz for 6 1/2 Access line speaker. I was curious on what those specs meant.

5. 04

04 Guest

Well, I would definatly take the Focal over the Kenwood. And that is a great example of why the specs dont mean that much. I would be so bold as to say that the Focals would sound better.

The frequency response determines how accurate, and how wide of a range of frequencies a speaker can play. The ideal speaker would play from 20hz to 20khz +/- 0dB. In practice though, a REALLY good system is going to be probably somewhere around 20hz to 20khz +/- 2-3dB. The room or car will always affect the sound of the speaker, so that frequency response is always going to be changed from what it says on the box.