resistance band training

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by The Ripper, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

Ive never been a fan of free weights for various reasons and have done a lot of sport specific stuff to reach my goals. Recently a freind of mine from the gym has really gotten into resistance band training because he says it gives him a lot more options. I know I shadow box with resistance bands and I use them a lot with my boxing.

My question is this. He replaced his whole free weight routine with resistance band training. Is it as effective as free weights or is this just some new fad. I have a link to the article he was getting most of his ideas from.

http://www.leeapperson.com/cables/

chime in with your thoughts

2. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

Use some common sense...

3. hyper

hyper Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHhhahahahah, please buy them and report back. ROFLOL I think my mom has some of these from target for like $10

4. jonno

jonno New Member

5. Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton New Member

6. infinite loop

infinite loop Statistically speaking, the Yankees do indeed suck

bands are good for rehab work and injury prevention.. i don't see how they would replace free weights.

7. RollinDollos

RollinDollos Guest

eliteefs.com

8. Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton New Member

i'd think it would be tough to quantify and record the actual poundage of your sets (for future improvement)

9. Formz

Formz Hipster Santa OT Supporter

"Ive never been a fan of free weights"

I stopped reading there.

10. Drewski

Drewski New Member

Everybody wants to be strong but nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight.

11. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I started doing some more research on it and you can get good results from resistance band training. Yeah alot of people use them for rehab because they arent as harsh as free weights. The reason Im not really into lifting free weights is because for my application Im better off using sport sepecific training and getting two things done at once. ie. boxers using resistance bands to shaddow box.

I was doing some research on it. Bassically it all boils down to resistance is resistance and how you use them. Most people dont do much weight with resistance bands so they end up building alot of muscle tone and alot of muscle endurance but just like free weights if you stay at the same low weights your not going to build up to become stronger.

They have options like this one company that sells multiple resistance bands with different weight settings so you can mix it up and go higher and higher on weight and they have a weight system for you to compare with. The resistance bands work alot like how the bow flex works. The consensus is if you use them right they do work as well as free weights for building mass but if your building mass and body building your going to need to put on so many bands once you reach the higher levels that it would be riddiculous to keep using it it would be simpler to use free weights. so if your body building and your looking for a cheap alternative to get you start it you can get some resistance bands and they have a good 50 dollar set that will work very well but you will eventually out grow them when you need to go up in weight. For chest back and the major muscles I think they might actually get used out alot quicker. For bicep triceps and core you might be able to keep using them.

Thats for the body building application though. Im more interested in sport application. So I like to shaddow box with light weights and eventually move up and increase my punching power that way I also like to do alot of movements that I really cant do with free weights especially when it comes down to combinations and stikes it would be more difficult to do.

On the other hand using the resistance band and going up with their weights will be more beneficial for me. Shadow boxing with the resistance bands I wouldnt risk injury as I would with the free weights when going up to heavier weights.

I think it all boils down to what your using it for

12. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

yea this one is going to go down in flames.

13. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I feel like the resistance bands for shadow boxing help work on the speed of your hand extension, but not necessarily your power. The arm is just there to transfer the strike, its the speed of the hip, oblique and shoulder at the very beginning of the movement that gives you power. The bands give less resistance during this crucial time and more resistance during the less crucial time of when your tricep is extended. I donno if my bands just don't have enough resistance or if I'm using them wrong, but my hip just doesn't feel the resistance at all, I only feel it in the shoulder and tricep. That is great for stamina but not really for power.

I think for overall punching power single arm snatches and medicine ball slams (or sledgehammer slams on at tire if you have the room and equipment) work best.

14. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

It sounds like you do it how I used to do it with the band wraped around your torso. That works out the hands back and chest but not really the other stuff you need. What I found works better is if you wrap the band around something and then walk farther away to get some more resistance out of it. Then you feel it alot more your trunk starts burning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.