MIL Reserves VS Guard for college

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SuperMaWiiOH, Jan 8, 2008.

1. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

I made a previous post about joining the Army Reserves and going into ROTC. My question now is there a difference between the Reserves and NTL Guard in terms of educational benefits? I asked a Guard recruiter online and they told me they have tuition assistance, MGIB, etc. I told them ok the Reserves have the exact same thing. I'm looking for does one have an edge over the other?

2. willijdub

willijdub New Member

Bennies are the same as far as i know. I am reserve.(going active next month though when i get done with this Iraq tour.)

3. ustfdes

ustfdes LPC ID: 20394

Not sure about the reserves....but the Guard offers 100% tuition assistance on top of the MGIB-SR (selected reserves)....if you've been deployed before, then you qualify for the MGIB-AD (Active Duty) benefits...the Tuition Assistance also covers any certifications you need as well.

i believe both guard and reserve can also receive REAP benefits for a few years...before you start taking away from your MGIB benefits.

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Each state has their own benefit package for the National Guard, which will be in addition to what you would get in the Reserves.

5. shiba

shiba Active Member

bear in mind that most tuition assisstance programs only cover the tuition itself and not things like housing and insurance. Also with the guard, they give you a $10000 sign on bonus after ROTC.

6. ustfdes

ustfdes LPC ID: 20394

thanks for clarifying that...i thought it was something like that but i couldn't remember :)