MIL Reserves/Sniper School

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Socrates, May 27, 2005.

1. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Is it possible for a Marine Reservist to go to Sniper school, or other things such as airborne, Ranger School, or any of that?

(Stupid question i'm sure, but I don't know.)

2. C5Load

C5Load OT Resident UCLA fanatic

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_5_51/ai_n13469651

Marine reservist makes longest shot
    Guns Magazine, May, 2005 by Paul W. Leicht

Save a personal copy of this article and quickly find it again with Furl.net. It's free! Save it.
    Fallujah, Iraq, Nov. 11, 2004. Seen through a 20X spotting scope, terrorists scrambled to deliver another mortar round into the tube. Across the Euphrates River from a concealed rooftop, Marine sniper Sgt. Herbert B. Hancock breathed gently and squeezed the trigger of his 7.62mm M40A3 rifle. The spotter, Cpl. Geoffrey L. Flowers, confirmed the terrorist went down from the shot mere seconds before the next crack of the rifle dropped another. It wasn't the sniper's first kill in Iraq, but it was one for the history books.

"From the information we have, our chief scout sniper has the longest con firmed kill in Iraq so far," said Capt. Shayne McGinty, weapons platoon commander for Company B, 1st Battalion, 23rd Marine Regiment, 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit. "In Fallujah there were some bad guys firing mortars at us and he took them out from more than 1,000 yards."

"We moved south some more and linked up with the rear elements of our first platoon," remembered Sgt. Hancock USMCR. chief scout sniper, 1/23, and a 35-year-old police officer from Texas. "Then we got up on a building and scanned across the river. We looked out of the spot scope and saw about three to five insurgents manning a 120mm mortar. We got the coordinates for their position and set up a fire mission. We decided that when the rounds came in that I would engage them with the sniper rifle. We got the splash and there were two standing up looking right at us. One had a black (outfit) on. I shot and he dropped. Right in front of him another got up on his knees looking to try and find out where we were so I dropped him too. After that our mortars just hammered the position, so we moved around in on them."

3. StuDLei

StuDLei Death before Dishonor

That, my friend, is motivating

4. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

You might like this also.

A world-record killing shot by a Canadian sniper detachment in Afghanistan could never have been made with the ammunition they were issued when they left Edmonton last winter, the triggerman said in a recent interview. The Canadian .50-calibre rounds have a maximum range of between 2,200 and 2,300 metres.

But the U.S. rounds, they discovered, "fly farther, faster," said Cpl. "Bill", a 26-year-old native of Fogo Island, Nfld.

The two-man Canadian team, coupled with American Sgt. Zevon Durham of Greenville, S.C., made the kill from 2,430 metres, or nearly 2 1/2 kilometres, on the second shot.

This feat is the equivalent of standing at the foot of Yonge St. and hitting a target in the intersection of Yonge and Wellesley Sts., just north of College St.

The first shot blew a bag from the hand of their target, an Al Qaeda fighter walking on a road.

"He didn't even flinch," said Bill, who spoke on condition that his real name not be used.

"We made a correction and the next round hit exactly where we wanted it to. Well, a bit to the right."

The kill, one of more than 20 unofficially accredited to Canadian snipers during Operation Anaconda in Afghanistan's Shah-i-Kot Valley, beat the 35-year-old record of 2,500 yards, or 2,250 metres, set by U.S. Marine Gunnery Sgt. Carlos Hathcock in Duc Pho, South Vietnam.

5. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

:werd: :eek3: