MIL Reserves Questions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Accord, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Accord

Accord New Member

After 20 years of active duty service you can retire with a pension and all that other good stuff, but how does it work if you're in the reserves?

Can reservists even retire with a pension and whatnot? If so, after how many years and how does that system work?

How does rank advancement work in the reserves if you're only drilling once a month? Is it basically TIG and TIS only?

Reason i'm asking is i'm definitely planning on doing 4 or 8 years AD, but just don't know where i'll be 8 years from now or what my plans will be but I will always want to remain a part of the armed forces and therefore go into the reserves, so i'm really curious about all this.

2. Accord

Accord New Member

Thanks for the answers.

So how does rank advancement work in the reserves? Different than being on active duty?

3. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

how do u possibly know that your gonna love the military so much and always be a part of it. your not even in it yet. its not for everyone man, not at all. make sure you have back up plans and stuff, and never skimp on education. im not trying to be mean with this or anything, just honest and helping you out. hope you understand.

4. Accord

Accord New Member

I realize all of this. My degree will be finished by the time my first 5 years are up because of SOCMAR and if I decide to re-up, i'll go for my MA. If I don't decide to re-up, I have several backup plans for later in life.

My local reserve unit is 4th ANGLICO, which is :cool: and why i'm so curious about the reserves, because that is something i'd LOVE to do.

If anyone knows how rank advancement in the reserves works, more specifically the USMC reserves, i'd love to know.

I found THIS on about.com, but it pertains to the Army/NG and i'm not sure if it's handled in the same way for the USMC reserves.

5. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I can't say anything about Marine reserves, but the Air Force reserves would advance your rank as far as your skill level would allow, as long as there was an available slot in the unit.