MIL Reserve recruiter sounds off on Guard

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SuperMaWiiOH, Mar 28, 2008.

1. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

I was in a mall today and a guy stopped me and asked if I was in the military. I told him I was in the Air Force and am now trying to get into the Army National Guard. I asked if he was in the military. He flashed me his ID and said he's a recruiter. He asked me why the Guard and not Reserves? I told him I originally was trying to get into the Reserves but since I had problems with that recruiter I changed to the Guard. He asked me who the recruiter from the Reserves was and I told him. He told me that recruiter from the Reserves I was working with doesn't know anything about the Reserves and no wonder I left him. He asked if I ever planned on getting out of Ohio (don't know if he was about to go on a rant like I've heard other Reserve recruiters say that once your in the Guard it's hard to go active, or change states).

He asked what MOS I wanted. I told him 68W with M6. He then told me that you can only get M6 if your grades are good enough in 68W school. If they are not good enough they won't send you to M6 training. He then told me that the Reserves is better for medical MOS's. He explained to me that the Reserves have better bases, units, and that since they are federally funded they never have to worry about not having money for new equipment or anything. He said that if I was going to pick a non-medical MOS he would tell me the Guard is better, but since I wanted a medical MOS, the Reserves are better. He told me that in the Guard 68W's are just combat medics and that they don't perform any other duties than that.

After all that he asked me if I ever seen the show "Deal or No Deal". I told him yes. He said going in the Guard is like taking the $100,000 case of money, when you could have won the $1,000,000 case of money, that I wouldn't be getting the best deal. He told me that his brother went to 68W and M6 training and is now in college to be an RN (which is what I wanna do). I don't know if that was BS or the truth but that's besides the point. Anyways he gave me his card and said if I changed my mind to give him a call.

Being the type of person I am I would like to hear the comments people that want to chime in on this topic to maybe clear up some of the smoke this guy could have been throwing at me.

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

You met a very good salesman.

I don't know anything about Reserves vs. Guard for Medics. I can tell you that for my MOS (21B) I hated being in the reserves and loved being in the Guard. My old reserve unit was filled with people that didn't want to be there, equipment that was busted and outdated, and run by officers and NCOs that had no business being in leadership positions. My Guard unit is the exact opposite. My 1SG runs five miles every morning, takes his AGRs on planning/scouting runs every month to plan the monthly drills several months in advance. I'm deployed with another unit now, but one of the last drills I had back home, we climbed the highest peak on the Appelachian Trail in New Hampshire. While I've been gone, they have done air assault insertions with an infantry unit into a MOUT setup, and they blow up shit all the time for practice.

cliffs: I know nothing about Medics - but my Guard unit > my old Reserve unit x 11ty.

3. PumpScout

PumpScout New Member

Roger that. I initially went Reserve, figuring it would be easier to go active it I really enjoyed it than trying to go active from Guard. What I found in the Reserve unit I was in was poor motivation, a crappy command group, a supply sergeant who truly thought he could get away with an on-paper double issue of field gear, and what I'd consider substandard training. I also wasn't fond of the idea that activation orders could come in for individuals rather than an entire unit. The old "you, you, you, you, pack your stuff, you've been activated" game.

On the Guard side, after I'd dealt with the Reserve guys "losing" my transfer papers - twice - and the CO doing a serious gripe job about me leaving (he actually said within earshot that if I wanted to go Guard, they'd "give him a ham sandwich and a road map and send him on his way". Six months later, that unit was disbanded), I found a tight-knit group of guys who really wanted to be there doing the job. Our gear was older, but it was used more effectively. Everyone from the top down to the newest grunt cared enough to give it 120% every time the suit was put on. And nobody partied like the Guard in those days. :naughty: I think the parties have been tamed down a little these days, but Guard is still a great way to go.

There's also the benefit on the guard side of having state missions. We had a chemical spill two counties over while I was in, and volunteers were requested to run people into a town in APC's while things were being cleaned up, so they could pick up needed items from their evacuated homes. Out of 25 guys in our platoon, we had 25 volunteers. They had to turn most of us away.