Research topics

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CompiledMonkey, May 22, 2003.

1. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Guys, I'm looking to get some ideas on research topics. My group (we work together on projects in our major classes) and I plans on getting an idea to research, design, and implement. I'm curious to see what you all come up with. Currently, this is what has been thrown out there for discussion:

• Distributed computing project
    • Search engine technology
    • Instant messaging application

2. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

how about an inventory program, but an advanced on.
    one that lets you:
    -browse products by categories and sub-categories.
    -you are allowed to cross categorize a product when it is entered.
    -you can browse the inventory of another store, and/or press a key from your inventory browsing that brings up the inventory on that product from all the other stores. Going on the assumption that it is only about a 5-15 store chain.
    -Allow you to put in a request for transfer of a product from the store search menu
    -there should be a search engine that lets you search for products based on description, keyword, Sku#, UPC#, Prod #, Vendor name, and (if possible) search by partial UPC#.
    -have a seperate managers only menu for doing things such as inventory adjustments, entering in in-store used merchandise, entering in known theft(possibly with a spot to enter where packaging was found and what ime it was found)
    -should store all actual data on a server with ~3-5 workstations that are networked to it.
    -should be able to add a printer to the server and have a "Print Labels" menu (push a button to access), that allow you to print shelf labels, sticky labels, medium signs, large signs, and a sales sign(med and large, uses the same stock as med and large signs) where you can input the sales price and whether the sale is instant off or mail-in rebate, or both and specify how much either is.

If I think of or missed anything I'll add it on, but if you want me to go into details on something let me know. Post here or try to catch me on AIM: PieOfDamnation

3. Zourn

Oh i forgot, all transfer requests should go directly to a main receiving manager, and each store should have a way to upload their current inventoryto his computer(e-mail would work for this), who is manager over ALL the stores. of course there are receiving supervisors at each store but that's a different pot of pie. he basically just double checks that the store asking for the item doesn't have enough and then chooses the store that has the most of that item and puts it under their file, then around twice a week these stores are sent a list of everything that needs to leave their store and where its going. each transfer sheet sent to the store from the main rec manager has a Tran # which when entered into the transfer out menu on the Management functions will flash an on-screen itemized summarry, supervisor double checks his list with that and is given the option to make changes to change quantities, and add/remove items.

All huge and urgent/important transfers will dealt with manually and will be inputted through the computers as inventory changes. When a store recieves a shipment, they enter the transfer # into the transfer in menu in management functions.

Also, whenever a product is sold the scanned UPC# is automatically sent to the server for inventory deduction. and the server should also store total ticket, employee ID of the checker, date, time. and these will be available through the management menu.

Management window should also have an option that allows them to see the day's current sales(*.ticket totals=?), average ticket total, total money out (for returns), and actual current sales (current sales - total money out=?)

4. Zourn

Computer specs, workstations would have a 15" normal CRT, other than that the actual computer is up to you, just imagine it being a baseline, cheapy model.

a register could easily be a mini computer with an entry-level celeron or AMD with little RAM and most likely a little monitor so imagine it not being much more than 640x480. The barcode scanner will have software to run as a keypress emulator(you scan something and your computer thinks you typed it in). Will have a keyboard for entering in misc data when needed. prolly have about 4 registers. Running w/e OS pleases you.

Server is free reign, w/e you want it to be.

5. Zourn

oh yeah, and it should go without saying but, you should not be able to alt-tab, ctrl-alt-del, ctrl-esc, and the windows button should have no effect.

to get out of kiosk mode you must enter a special password from the management menu.

6. CompiledMonkey

I like the idea. It sounds quite specific. Have you done something similar, describing a system your work uses, etc?

7. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

the .NET remoting is pretty interesting if you want to do that distributed project

8. CompiledMonkey

Man, I wish my group had some understanding of .NET. They are only familiar with Java, so we'd need to stick with that.

After a load of emails going throughout our group, the IM/chat system seems to be winning by a large margin. I think the guys want to stick with something they can relate to. :dunno:

9. Zourn

Idea thats been in my head thats a hybrid of the system we use, web site shopping, and just random things that sound like good ideas.