GUN Research Paper

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Bausk, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I have to write a research paper for my Criminal Justice class on "any topic covered by the criminal justice system". Basically anything mentioned anywhere in our book. I'm looking for some good firearm-related topics to research and write on. Any ideas for topics? I'm not looking for any help writing, just picking what I want to start with. I have to get my topic approved by the professor. I need to be able to research and write 5 pages. I guess my idea so far is:

Regulating firearm ownership does not directly effect firearm crime.

2. Well, there is plenty of evidence to back you up at least.

3. no7fish

no7fish New Member

I may be not have a firm understanding of the type of research but... how about researching the place of firearm regulations in thwarting other types of crime, ie. arresting people on weapons charges when you can't get enough evidence for a drug trafficking conviction.

4. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

only 5 pages?

5. Bausk

Bausk New Member

It's a beginner level course, I just started going back to school. :o

A lot more work than I'm used to, but I'm enjoying it.

Also, say I was to pick the topic listed in the first post or another similar, where would be the best place to look for information? The NRA website and look for statistics? I know there is a great gun "truth" website but I lost my bookmark. Any other locations to look?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  6. Jurisbot Esq.

Be sure to get statistics from several sources including ones that don't support your opinion about the issue ala Brady Bunch. Check the FBI website for statistics of gun crimes. Chicago or DC statistics might be the easiest to find and compare because of their total ban on hand guns.

7. Bausk

Bausk New Member

http://www.gunfacts.info/ was what I was looking for. We have already had homework assignments based on researching UCR's so I'm sure I will include some of that type of information.

Why would I want to include sources of apposing view points? Interesting.

8. When I wrote papers in college and included opposing viewpoints, I always offered a rebuttal to their claims. It is important to recognize the other side of an issue, but don't do the other side's work for them.

9. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

addressing opposing viewpoints, and refuting them is (imo) the best way to develop ethos in a paper. first, you bring down the opposition's argument, then you can construct your own, and be sure to address the rebuttals to your arguments, so that your readers know you're being as thorough as possible with your research and thought process

10. Jurisbot Esq.

I'm assuming you are of the opinion (as I'm sure most of us in WMD are) that gun control does not prevent crimes. You can write a paper and only address the reasons and use facts that are favorable for why gun control doesn't work. To make your argument stronger you should also present unfavorable facts (such as crime statistics going down for the year following a new ban) and then rebut the facts and show why they don't lead to the conclusion the opposing viewpoint is drawing from it.

11. You could also take a more philosophical approach to any slight movement in crime data and argue that even if a bunch of anti-gun laws slightly decrease gun related crime, the laws are fully against the spirit of freedom upon which this country was based. There is a cost to freedom, and that cost includes the fact that there are elements in society that will take advantage of that freedom for nefarious purposes. The worst thing a "free" society can do in response would be to curtail those freedoms. Look at freedom of speech or other freedoms. There are organizations dedicated to the preservation of freedoms (real or imagined freedoms) and they'll defend them at any cost (ACLU.) It's an odd thing that those organizations that demand almost total freedom in so many areas seem to be ok with giving up gun freedoms.

Ok, I've gone on more expansively than you need to in your paper, but the core idea here is that even if a big gun law had a small impact on crime it's not consistent with the spirit of freedom that we cherish in this country.

12. snoodles

snoodles New Member

what about the idea that guns don't kill people, angry minorities do? :)

13. snoodles

snoodles New Member

i think there is another thread somewhere in one of the forums discussing this topic. i'll see if i can find a link to it for you, maybe it'll help you with some research, arguments, or at least give you a starting block.

14. Jurisbot Esq.

we might have already hit the page limit :rofl:

15. snoodles

snoodles New Member

in the "On Topic" forum, I think page 9, there is the Gun Control P1 thread, I think P2 is on page 8.

Hope this helps.

(Definitely hit the page limit lol. You could right a whole damn book on this)

16. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

I just did a paper on that very topic last semester. In fact, I have quite a few CJ papers. What book are you using?

17. Frazz

Frazz New Member

i bascially only used gun facts on a similar topic (how CCW's reverse the adverse effects of gun control) and wrote a 10pg no problem. Its a great source. Lemme dig the paper up and see if there are any more good sources for ya to use

18. snoodles

snoodles New Member

tell them that VT might not have happen if the campus allowed concealed permits to carry.

maybe it's just me, but if i knew there was a chance that students were carrying in my class who would blast my ass if i tried to terrorize it, i'd sure as hell never do it

19. SNDP

SNDP New Member

20. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Maybe something along the lines of "An armed society is a safer society". You could go into how self defense is a basic human right, how we as Americans have the right to bear arms, how the police cannot reasonably protect you (only clean up after the fact), how citizens carrying concealed weapons actually reduces crime, or a million other things... Actually, this might be way to broad. I could probably do a 50 page paper on this.

21. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

People who do things like go on a shooting spree on a college campus don't tend to be reasonable people. The crime would have still occurred. The shooting spree just might have been a little shorter, and a few lives saved, had an armed citizen taken out the scumbag(s).

I suppose a paper on why CCW should be allowed on campus might make a nice 5 page paper. You could certainly use the VT example, and discuss how the outcome could have been better had students been allowed to defend themselves. You could also go into the frequency of crimes such as rape, muggings, etc that occur on college campuses, and how students should have the right to defend themselves.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  22. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

STFU

and :gtfo:

23. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

i have to agree with you, bpa00 - most assholes that go on shooting sprees have nothing to lose. hence the suicide at the end.

24. Laurel

Laurel New Member

You should take advantage of your school's subscription to online periodicals. Even community colleges have them, so you shouldn't have an issue accessing it, but you may need to be on campus to log in. You can do searches for articles quite easily using simple search terms lie "gun control AND crime" or "violent crime AND firearm" "gun control AND crime rates OR statistics." I did a lot of research regarding this a few years ago, and then the teacher shot it down (she was a dirty liberal bitch) because "it's been done too many times." There are a number of peer-reviewed journal articles which are some of the best sources that you can find, especially if the names of the journals don't tend to lend any bias on the subject.

I assume you need to use primary sources (or perhaps that's my history major talking. If so, look through even clearly biased articles that you normally wouldn't use for your paper, and use THEIR sources to write a stronger paper. Oftentimes you can find magazine articles referencing a specific event or court case, in which case you can usually find the public record of the even, or a simple newspaper reporting of the event and use the facts from that to support your argument, that way it's not "Jimbo says that guns are good because...," it's "There is proof that guns are good. Here are some examples of that proof."

5 pages should be cake though. figure 1 page intro, 1 page conclusion and you really only need to research for 3 pages, that shouldn't take more than a few hours (although I often change my position or develop a slightly different argument through the course of research, so don't write an intro til you have your facts together). I could probably put that entire paper together in several hours. Just remember to use keywords and phrases that the teacher loves repeating. That always makes them feel like they've made an impact.