Required Speaker RMS with Factory Decks

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by matrix243, Dec 28, 2001.

1. matrix243

matrix243 My body, is ready.

I own a 98 F-150 reg. cab, and I'm looking at replacing the factory door speakers. I know very little when it comes to speaker specs. There's a set of 3-way polk dx7 6x8's that look good. Their running 40RMS and 130watts peak. My factory speakers are 25RMS I think, but not sure what specs are for the factory deck. Can anyone give me some insight into what to look for?

2. Simple

Simple Sexy Beatch

it's ok to underpower your speakers. it's when you turn the gains up on AMPS that fuck you over etc.

and if you have a factory deck don't worry about a thing. but a real amp would sound 10x better

3. Guest

Guest Guest

You can get some very nice CD headunits for like $180 bucks now

4. Axilrod

Axilrod Guest

Actually subs blow more often from underpowering them. You crank it up, and the amp is trying so hard the power becomes more and more distorted. I've seen it happen a million times. And yes the speakers will sound much better with an amp on them.

5. MyBigNut

MyBigNut www.trymynuts.com

6. There is clipping which will run raw DC over your voice coils and fry them. Running an amp at above say 3/4 is not really recommended for long periods, speakers that are clipping will sound like they are distorting.

7. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

so its not under powering that killed them its the distortion ;)