Requesting SATA help with XP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CHiEFTAiN, Jun 26, 2004.

1. CHiEFTAiN

CHiEFTAiN New Member

i'm having trouble installing XP on my new system. when i run the disc for installation, windows tells me that it cannot install because it can not detect any hard drive. i made sure all of the connectors were properly connected and it still diplayed that response. i have an ASUS P4R800-V motherboard with a Western Digital 160 GB Serial ATA hd. The bios says that its there but why can't windows detect it? Do i need to run the hd in RAID with another hd? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

You need the floppy disk that the motherboard should have come with for the SATA controller. If not, download the driver from asus's website.
    When booting with the xp install CD, as soon as it gets into the install, you need to hit F6 when it tells you to if you want to load a third party hard drive controller driver. This is where you need to have the floppy disk. Once it loads the drivers the install should continue and find the hard disk.

3. CHiEFTAiN

CHiEFTAiN New Member

ok. i'll try and let you know. thanks a bunch for the reply

4. CHiEFTAiN

CHiEFTAiN New Member

thanks. i did it!

5. lordbean

lordbean Guest

Asus SATA controllers have to be given a driver?

Wow, that's pretty annoying. My MSI mainboard shows it as a standard IDE controller to windows, and interfaces in the same fashion as IDE, so I don't need to load any form of driver for it.

6. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

But can you use both the sata channels and both ide's? My gigabyte motherboard had that option, but it was one or the other.

7. lordbean

lordbean Guest

yes, I can use both at the same time. Windows sees two primary controllers and two secondary controllers.

8. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

Uh...most mobo's need the SATA driver disk AFAIK

9. lordbean

lordbean Guest

well mine doesn't...

my SATA controller, like I said, shows up as another primary/secondary IDE controller, so under device manager, I see this:

Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
    Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
    Primary IDE Channel
    Primary IDE Channel
    Secondary IDE Channel
    Secondary IDE Channel

no driver loading is necessary, the BIOS shows the SATA controller as an IDE controller to the OS.

10. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

My guess is your mb doesn't need the drivers because it possibly is an ATA/IDE controller with a chip that converts the ATA/IDE to SATA and gives you the new connectors. Windows would see an ATA/IDE controller because that is what is really there on the system. It would not be a true SATA solution. Instead it is more of a hybrid.

11. goalie99

goalie99 New Member

It depends on which SATA controller the drive is hooked up to as to if you need to F6 your drivers during install. My IC7-MAX3 has 2 SATA controllers- the ICH5, and another (SI I believe..don't use it). If I use the SI I need to F6 the drivers, as it is a proprietary controller XP does not recognize. The ICH5, however, is built in such a way that when set up properly in the BIOS, it fools the install program into believing the drive is on a normal IDE channel. I find this much easier, esp. since I have no floppy on this computer anymore.

12. lordbean

lordbean Guest

I seem to recall ICH5 from somewhere in my motherboard's description, so that's probably what's going on in my case. I like it, it's hassle-free.