MMA REQUEST: Information on training in Thailand

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Sammo, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Sammo

Sammo New Member

Someone posted some info about training there before with accomodations and such

I'm considering doing this in a couple years

please post info :bowdown:

2. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

I want to go soooooo bad!!!!

They charge alot to outsiders where locals will train there for like $30 a month.

3. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

There's a Muay Thai camp in Phuket that caters to foreigners....it's rather cheap...most expensive part is the ticket there and back home.

Last time I was in Thailand, it was 55 Baht to 1 USD....and Sing Ha was ~ .75, a bottle of Thai whiskey was ~$3-4

4. Pommy

Pommy Pose. Click. Fashion

I live here in Thailand and do muay thai.

I'm thinking "REAL SOON" of starting a site to help guys like you out and bring people over.

5. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

I was there this summer in Koh Phangan, at a gym Jungle Gym. You should be able to find their site on the net. It was an average gym, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Look for gyms in Chaing Mai, Phuket or Bangkok (if you can stand it). You can set up accomodations with most gyms beforehand, but it's often cheaper if you just find a place yourself when you get to town.

Just remember it takes a while to adjust to the heat and intensity of the training. I was doing allright for awhile but broke my a bone in my foot from all the stress on it.

6. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

a guy I train with is from thailand he is looking to get a few of us there to train in his old gym for a few weeks early next year.

7. metallikatz56

metallikatz56 New Member

8. metallikatz56

metallikatz56 New Member

With the exchange rate currently at ~37 baht, it's still very affordable

9. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

:werd: once you get there it's very very cheap. But as stated already, getting there is the damned expensive part

10. pepsi

pepsi Cut my life into pieces

well, i guess i can mention http://www.muaythailand.com/ its just starting back up since muslim hackers fucked it up. but its building back up. its run for the specific purpose of informing people about training in thailand.

11. Pommy

Pommy Pose. Click. Fashion

Any suggestions for a domain name? If I get a beautiful one, I'm gonna promote muay that abroad and make an effort to get people over.

12. Sammo

Sammo New Member

13. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

the training there isnt as great as youd think your better off going to europe

14. pepsi

well i don't know, if i can get 4 hours a day training or more 6 days a week in thailand for anywhere from $100 to $300 a month. in some cases less or including accomodation. i think that be pretty good. overall, its cheaper in thailand, its warm all year round, i got the choice of hundreds of gyms, i can get a professional fight just about any day of the week there.your trainers usually have 100's of fights under their belts. what does europe offer?

15. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

there are better camps here in the US and in europe. look at the most notible fighters in k1 I dont think any fighter from thailand has made it big in a world theatre. the best kick boxers usually come from the netherlands. look at the list of k1 grand prix world champions

1993 [​IMG] Branko Cikatić 1994 [​IMG] Peter Aerts 1995 [​IMG] Peter Aerts 1996 [​IMG] Andy Hug 1997 [​IMG] Ernesto Hoost 1998 [​IMG] Peter Aerts 1999 [​IMG] Ernesto Hoost 2000 [​IMG] Ernesto Hoost 2001 [​IMG] Mark Hunt 2002 [​IMG] Ernesto Hoost 2003 [​IMG] Remy Bonjasky 2004 [​IMG] Remy Bonjasky 2005 [​IMG] Semmy Schilt 2006 [​IMG] Semmy Schilt
    praumuk or some shit like that is really the only one out of thailand that has made a name for himself in the modern era. Whats the point of training so much if your not getting good training. What Ive noticed from the fighters that come out of thailand is that their technique is very sloppy.

With their shin kicks they rarely recoil a shin kick and they have to much movement so there kicks are very uncontrolled if they miss they will spin around and then the other fighter usually waits for them to reset when they go up against western fighters they always rush in and own them with their hands when they do shit like that.

16. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

theres a couple of places in the U.S. that are really good if you can find him saka sam is a legendary trainer. I havent trained at fairtex but I have seen the facilities first hand and have spoken with the trainers and seen people who have came out of that camp after awhile of training. If you want to get world calibur training then fairtex is the way to go

http://www.fairtex.com/singleview.php?school_id=1

17. tob014

tob014 OT Supporter

18. pepsi

well, you sound a little biased, have you trained in thailand, in europe? anyway, Thai's for the most part are small people and it wouldn't be much of a match to see giant's like the ones you mentioned kicking around guys half their size. but anyway's, the reason you don't see many thais in big organizations, is for the most part they are fighting just to put food on the table, and don't really have the resources to leave thailand. another thing, most thais are retiring by the time they're 25, fighting professionally since 5 takes a toll on the body, that might be a reason or two why you don't see more out there. give it a few years and we'll see. as for being sloppy, i don't know what you're talking about. recoil? they never recoil, thats the way they kick and the thai style of kicking has a reputation as one of the most powerful kicks. so while it doesn't fit your view of how a kick should be done, it has apparently served the thai's well. and they're supposed to spin around when they miss, its all follow through, your not supposed to recoil. the trick is don't miss. well anyway, i'm being rushed. criticize away.

19. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

no thats a flaw in the technique you never want to lose control you always want to have full control of your technique. If you watch the higher caliber kick boxers its rare that you see them do that. Thats why you see all of the thai boxers bust their asses because they are throwing the technique off balance.

By spinning around you aren't generating extra power and kicks are going to miss its a part of the game. How ever if your kicks miss and you recoil you have the opportunity to throw combinations instead of having to reset. If you watch cro cop he will miss kicks but he wont spin around and cro cop has some of the most powerful legs in the world.

You throw a kick the same way you throw a punch you hit and immediately recoil so you don't leave an opening. If you do your setting yourself up for a combination. Also the Thai kicks are not the most powerful kicks in the world that title is owned by the Netherlands and has been for a very long time.

Ive seen a lot of thai events and even fights in their stadiums on tape and I have been to europe and have seen the european approach and its far more dominant.

20. Kuet

Kuet New Member

its would be cool if a bunch of dudes from deh cage went to training camp in thailand !!!

21. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

man your right next to one of the bext camps in the world since your in texas. hit up fairtex

22. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

I think part of the experience is just going to Thailand. It's relatively cheap there and the tropical weather can be nice. There are many interesting things to see in Thailand, and transportation is also cheap to other parts of Asia.

Europe is also a fun place to go, but it's going to be alot more pricey. There are also tons of interesting things to see there, and the facilities are most likely going to be alot nicer.

I also have seen some Muay Thai events while I was in Thailand and I was just so shocked at the size of the guys. The biggest guy I saw fight was about 140 pounds. So obviously some white guy that's 50 pounds heavier is going to seem far more dominant.

But the OP has his heart set on going to Thailand to train. I wouldn't try to ruin his dream. He's just looking for some information, not asking for people's opinions of his dream.

23. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

i was just warning him before hand because I didnt want the kid to invest alot of money and then in the end not get what he was paying for because its happened to me before and it sucks

24. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

If you are in the mindset to immediately recoil your kick, you are naturally going to be slowing it down before you actually hit the target.

As long as I've trained, the spin around is effective, you just have to do it quickly. Albeit it's not effective for MMA, but we're talking muay thai here.

The Thai kicks may look a little sloppy and inaccurate at first glance in a match, but in reality it's because their opponent is usually great at dodging it as well. The power that the Thai's can get out of their kicks for their weight is rediculous, and only two dutchmen that I have known of to actually compete and regularly beat Thais are Dekkers and Kaman.

25. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

did you forget about the flying gentlemen? And no the recoil doesnt limit the power of the kick you do a full extention and then recoil EVERY time that some one has thrown a thai kick at me and have spun around when they turned around they were met with a hand combo that led to a down or a knock out because I dont back up and wait for them to reset. Also when your doing that you dont have full balance thats why you see that alot of the thai fighters bust their ass when they throw kicks because they get off balance.

Also thai fighters lift their arms exposing their ribs to counter balance the weight of their kicks. Thats why I usually get good rib shots with my round kicks because they leave it wide open when I kick i keep my guard the same way

look at people that are amoung the best in the world and how they kick and compare it to the way the thai kicks are. Also with the spining thai kicks the push latterally and thats not causing as much damage as you want you want the kick to flow diagnally so that you get the most penetration and damage as possible. The thai kick is like pushing instead of penetrating. When you throw it properly you dont need to spin because your using your hips and leg to throw the kick what the thats do is that they sling their leg across which creates to much drag.

when you do that you probably think hey that kick felt strong but the point is YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO FEEL IT. the best thrown punches and kicks dont give any feed back and it feels like you went threw air because all of the force penetrated through to the other person.

Ill name names of people who kick the same way I do

cro cop - you never see him once spin with a kick he always throughts it the way I do because thats the most effective way

remy bojasky - one of the best kick boxers alive

bas rutten - you know el guapo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBNagW0EV6k in this video you see cro cop immediately recoil his kicks after contact and you hear the explosive power of his kicks and he doesnt spin around he recoils and throws it properly he doesnt slang it around

its pure physics once the initial impact is made theirs no point to continue driving through because the force of impact has already went through your end to the other end. think of the metal ball things people have in their offices one ball stops when it hits and the other ball goes flying off thats how a kick should work you dont see both balls go flying in the same direction because the force of impact went right through thats how you want your kicks to be

also the biggest problem with the way the thais kick is that its telegraph the way im saying to kick you have till the last moment where you swing your leg out to decide whether you want to throw a that kick or side kick so you can go around you go can go streight you have options till the last moment