Request for help: Pics, Routine, Diet

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by SlowNegative, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SlowNegative

SlowNegative Her name is Rio

**Request for help: Pics, Routine, Diet**

I've been wanting to post this thread for some time and after deeznuts requested pics in the daily workout thread, I figured now was the time to do it. Go easy guys :o I've been lifting on and off since I was 15, but I recently got back into a daily schedule in October and I have been sticking with it. I am addicted now, but as the pictures show, I need help (especially my pecs!!!!).

Basic Stats:
    5'10"
    165lbs
    Max Bench: 255lbs
    Max Squat: 225lbs (I'm just starting to hit legs hard, I had a lymph node cut out of my groin 2 months ago, so I have been healing)
    Max Deadlift: Haven't done it, trying it for the first time on Thursday :o

Goal
    Increase muscle mass, decrease body fat %. My ideal body weight is between 175-185lbs. I also have a major problem with pecs being out of proportion. This is embarrassing for me and I want to correct it and become more symmetrical/larger. I am left handed and I think my over use of the left side of the body has lead to the asymmetry in my chest. I want both pecs to grow and to become equal. I also have a gap in my chest where it's just skin and sternum. I want to close this gap with muscle. I also want to increase leg strength and definition. I feel my back and shoulders are the strongest part of my body, my legs are the weakest. For reference, my ideal body is timberwolf's after years of dedicated, hard work. I believe that I am above average strength for my height and weight, but I want more definition and mass.

Daily Diet:
    *I know I need some serious help here*

5:30am: Kashi Protein Cereal (13g), with a cup of skim milk (9g), EAS Myopro Whey Strawberry with a cup of skim (31g total)

6:30am: Workout - I usually consume about 80oz of water during 2 hours :hs:

8:45am: 2 cups of Breyer's Strawberry Banana Fruit on the bottom yogurt (14g total)

10:00am: can of tuna (30g)

12:00: Large home made deli sandwich with either Boar's Head chicken or ham (15-20g) and cheese

4:00pm: EAS Myopro Strawberry with a cup of skim or 2 scoops with ice and fruits (Banana and Strawberry), milk: (31-53g)

7:00pm: Dinner - Fish (grouper, salmon, halibut, etc) or Chicken breast with brown rice and a vegetable such as bok choy, spinach, etc

9:00pm: EAS Myopro Strawberry with a cup of skim (31g)

9:30-5:00am - sleep

repeat

Routine and current weight level:
    Day 1 - Chest
    Incline dumbbell: 65x10, 70x10, 75x8, 80x6
    Flat dumbbell: 70x10, 80x8, 85x6, 90x4
    Decline Barbell: 135x10, 155x10, 185x8, 205x6
    4 different kinds of cable crossover exercises (difficult to describe here) - 4 sets each, increasing weight
    Seated butterflies: 105x10, 120x10, 135x10, 150x10
    30 min of shooting hoops

Day 2 - Arms
    ez curl bar: 65x10, 75x10, 85x8, 95x4
    seated one-arm dumbbell curls: 32.5x10, 35x10, 37.5x8, 40x6
    tricep v-bar pulldowns (not sure on weight, so i will use place setting number): 10x8, 10x9, 10x10, 10x11
    tricep flat bar pulldowns (not sure on weight, so i will use place setting number): 10x8, 10x9, 10x10, 10x11
    Reverse curls (not sure on weight, so i will use place setting number): 10x8, 10x9, 8x10, 6x11
    Fixed barbell curls: 10x60, 10x70, 7x80, 5x90
    Overhead, two handed tricep dumbbell extensions: 10x40, 10x45, 10x50, 10x55

Day 3 - Back
    Chins: 60x10, 70x10, 80x8, 90x6
    Military Press (front): 135x10, 155x10, 185x6, 195x4
    DB Front Shoulder Raises: 17.5x10, 20x10, 22.5x10, 25x8
    DB Shoulder Press: 50x10, 60x10, 65x10, 70x10
    Lat Pull Over: 90x10, 180x10, 250x6, 270x4
    Behind the Neck Press (hammer): 90x10, 110x10, 140x10, 160x6
    Deadlift - adding tomorrow*
    30 min of shooting hoops

Day 4 - Legs
    Squat: 135x10, 155x10, 185x8, 205x6
    Leg Extensions: 45x10, 55x10, 70x10, 80x10
    Seated Calf Raises: 90x10, 100x10, 115x10, 125x10
    Standing Angled Calf Raises: 90x10, 180x10, 200x10, 230x10
    Hamstring curls: 45x10, 55x10, 70x10, 80x10
    30 min of shooting hoops

Day 5 - Chest
    Incline barbell: 135x10, 155x10, 185x6, 195x4
    Flat barbell: 135x10, 185x10, 205x8, 225x4
    Decline Barbell: 135x10, 155x10, 185x8, 205x6
    4 different kinds of cable crossover exercises (difficult to describe here) - 4 sets each, increasing weight
    Angled Dips: 10xbodyweight, 10xbodyweight+10, 8xbodyweight+25, 6xbodyweight+35
    30 min of shooting hoops

I shoot hoops alone at the end of each workout and run around on the court a bit, but I'm wondering if I should step up my cardio? I've been afraid to, I don't want to lose what little mass I have, but I do want more definition.

Pics
    Go easy. Body hair will be gone in the spring/summer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any other information that I need to provide, please let me know. I tried to take care of the most common requests I've seen others make in my first post. Thanks for any help/suggestions/critique :wavey:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  2. cunninglinguist

cunninglinguist RAEPERQUICKING

you look pretty good.... pecs could use work and delts can get slightly bigger as well

youre definitely overtraining the chest... you dedicate a ridiculous amount of time to it compared to your bigger muscle groups (legs, back)

I would remove chest from day 5 and put a dedicated back day... hitting the larger muscle groups with compounds movements will make the whole body grow

3. SlowNegative

Thanks for your response :wavey: I am afraid to work my back too much because I feel that my back and shoulder strength are taking away from my chest in exercises. I think most of my bench strength comes from my shoulders on a normal grip with good form :hs: Do you think I need to work back on days 3 and 5? I need to add some work for my traps. Oh, I forgot to include ab work as well. I usually do decline crunches every other day and leg raises in the "high chair"

4. nonplus

nonplus New Member

are you a lefty?

5. SlowNegative

I take GNC MegaMen, Big 150 vitamin B time release, Vitamin C, and MSM (for my joints, I have fibromyalgia).

Thanks - any suggestions for chest? :o

6. SlowNegative

It's that obvious huh? :hs:

7. dmaestro

dmaestro New Member

8. dmaestro

dmaestro New Member

You look good for the most part. Traps and lats need to be hit hard. IMO you are overworking your arms, they are already plenty for your body. I'd drop that arm day altogether and add a serious back day.

9. SlowNegative

:werd: on the traps and lats. I am going to add DB shrugs. Any suggestions for good lat exercises? Right now, they are just getting hit with the lat pullovers. I haven't done lat pulldowns in a few weeks. I mix my exercises up every few weeks with the base being flat bench, dips, squats, shoulder presses, etc - the list above is what I've been doing for the past couple of weeks.

10. dmaestro

dmaestro New Member

wide grip chins (weighted if you can) and bent over rows work well for me.

11. nonplus

nonplus New Member

it's only apparent in your traps. your left trap could eat your right trap for breakfast

12. SlowNegative

Noted. I will substitute both in tomorrow. I've been wanting to try bent over rows for a while. Do you use an overhand or underhand grip?

13. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

looks good to me. youve got a solid lean build. if your lookin to gain weight, stop eating so well for a bit. your body seems to process it well, so i dont think youll put on the lbs that easy.. enjoy some PB and whatnot. :)
    youre also doing a lot of concentration work, which is great and why you look the way you do, but if you want to get 'thicker', get back to the basics. try max-ot for a while, and keep it simple.. dont use DBs so much.

14. SlowNegative

I am worried about my diet. I haven't looked hard at my calorie intake, but I think you are right, I need to start eating more and possibly not as clean. I'm guessing my calories to be somewhere between 2500-3000 daily.

Do you think I should step up my cardio? I haven't because I am afraid to lose what little mass I have.

What is max-ot? :o

15. sk8man311

sk8man311 New Member

"6:30am: Workout - I usually consume about 80oz of water during 2 hours :hs:

8:45am: 2 cups of Breyer's Strawberry Banana Fruit on the bottom yogurt (14g total)

10:00am: can of tuna (30g)"

This would be one of the reasons of your lack of gains. Not sure why nobody has mentioned it yet. You are working out then coming home to only 14g of protein after your workout, and not getting a decent amount until 10am. Right after your workout you should definitely put more protein in your body, 14g is not nearly enough.

16. SlowNegative

Good suggestion. I will consume the tuna and yogurt together for 44g at 8:45. Next protein intake occurs at lunch at noon. I will try that, thanks :wavey:

17. SlowNegative

I added a better pic of my delts, just stepped outside the shower :o

18. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

but hes having protien the night before. i think its just calories, not a lack of protien.

7th - i wouldnt worry about more cardio now, as far as packing on muscle goes. otherwise, its good for you. :)

there is plenty of info about max-ot. im sure you can search, or i think the website is www.ast-ss.com. its basically 5-6sets per bodypart, with each set being 4-6 reps, using the max weight you can within that rep range.

19. SlowNegative

:cool:

I will search on it tomorrow and read the specifics. I think you are onto something though. I too have been wondering if I am repping too much with not enough weight. I will read up, and probably decrease reps/increase weight.

20. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

64 sets for chest? My god man...

way too much

21. SlowNegative

Damn, now that you put it that way I do believe I am overtraining :o

22. SlowNegative

Shows you how bad I want change, though it seems I am defeating the purpose because of the high sets :hs:

23. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

Thank god... suggestions fall on deaf ears until people can admit this. Now I can add the rest of my $.02 in :)

First, pick what is more important - increased size, or decreased bodyfat. I'm not saying you can't do both, but there are a couple problems with it. First, it requires a lot more planning - strict diet that takes a while to tweak to perfection, then constant monitoring to keep it working as you (slowly) change. Second, results are a LOT slower to see generally. This tends to kill motivation in 99% of people. If you really want to do both, I recommend you buy UD2.0 from Lyle at www.bodycomposition.com

For your routine, I honestly would go with a pre-built routine instead of trying to make your own. Christopher's routine, HST, one of Chad Waterbury's, etc will probably give you much better gains than what you are (probably not) seeing on your current routine. Since you have an asymmetry, use db's as much as possible. Oh, and don't be afraid to get out of the bodybuilder mindset of working each muscle group once a week... many on here will debate this, but I really feel that it's just not optimal. Try one of the routines above and you'll see what I mean.

24. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Looking pretty good and pretty solid to me.
    Would definitely agree about doing too much chest and possibly not enough back.
    As far as your diet... if you can follow it, at least you're disciplined. Might consider adding some flax just to increase your caloric intake. I have my own problems about eating enough so feel abit hypocritical advising you there.
    I like following some of John Berardi's diet advice.
    As someone said, possibly more protein post workout?
    I sip a protein shake throughout my workout but unlike you I can't seem to have anything before I workout which many would disagree with.

25. Fishbait

Fishbait Guest

question.... your 10am can of tuna.. do you just open the can and eat it? :hsugh:

i fucking hate tuna.. any ideas to flavor it so its not so horrid? :dunno:

was thinking perhaps draining the can, then slathering hot sauce on it, and just spooning into my mouth and swallowing... :o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.