Reprogramming computer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bing, Nov 11, 2004.

1. bing

bing Guest

Due to my roommate getting on my computer and downloading all kinds of shit, my computer is completely screwed up. I constantly get windows popping up saying programs can not run correctly due to missing parts and all sorts of other nice popups. Adware and spyware programs dont detect anything,so how can i reprogram my computer? Or does anyone have any other ideas? System restore doesn't help either.

2. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

from my experience, spyware is nearly impossible to completely remove.....if no spyware removers repair your sys then first try reinstalling the OS over the top....if you cant remove the problem, and you cant fill in the holes with the os reinstall...then your kinda doomed....and it would be time to consider a FFR (fdisk, format, reinstall), or dif OS (like linux...which i have yet to encounter spyware for)

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

installing overtop is usually a waste.

format and re-install is the best (and only, imho) option.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Ditto... After Windows 98, you really can't reinstall Windows over itself. The best option with Windows 2K or XP is to boot off of the CD and try a repair. If that doesn't help, a reformat and install is the best.

5. bing

bing Guest

and how do i go about doing that?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

insert your windows cd into your computer, boot to it, and follow the directions on the screen.

you do NOT want to repair an existing installation... And when asked where to install, you want to delete your partition, and create a new one.

7. samm

samm Next in Line

I suggest you stop using Windows and start using Linux or Mac OS X.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:rolleyes:

if he didn't know how to format his pc, then he sure as hell isn't gonna be able to dive into linux.

And sorry, but mac os x requires the hardware investment of the scale of a downpayment on a car.