Report: High-skilled IT workers in demand

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DatacomGuy, Jun 9, 2008.

1. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Report: High-skilled IT workers in demand

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/stories/2008/06/09/daily9.html?ana=from_rss

Tampa Bay Business Journal

Monday, June 9, 2008 - 2:56 PM EDT

In a new survey, 53 percent of Information technology and human resources managers expect to hire IT staff this year, while only 4 percent expect to decrease such staff, according to Boston-based staffing services firm Veritude.
    However, at the same time, the company said 73 percent of the respondents are having trouble finding candidates for higher level business intelligence and enterprise solutions support positions. Overall, 53 percent are having trouble finding qualified candidates for all information technology jobs and 40 percent say they have hard time finding candidates with specific skills.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

This industry has really screwed itself. Now they want people that KNOW what they're doing, but it's quite difficult to gain that relevant knowledge through traditional schooling. However, as a result of outsourcing, we have less and less people with real-world experience. Hiring managers, however, are putting more and more faith in resumes and past experiences. The result is that people that may have the knowedge are not getting the opportunity to demonstrate it.

Companies need to re-evaluate their hiring practices and interview processes to place more focus on "what you know" vs "what companies have you worked for".

Doing so will have a domino effect of giving good jobs to good people, as well as businesses getting things done. It also would bring an influx of creativity and innovation.

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

At my last job I handled hiring UNIX people and was always looking for sr level people. In 5 years I found maybe 3, 1 was a flake and bailed, 1 turned out to have lied on his resume so we couldn't convert him to full time and the last was a good hire. I probably interviewed and phone screened over 100 applicants strictly based on what they knew and most people suck.

4. Seeders

Seeders OT Supporter

what kind of things were you asking them?

5. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i'm just out of college with 2 associates in networking and an bachelors in cis with networking. i can't get an entry level help desk position in ohio. i interview well and i'm willing to work for very cheap

fucking economy sucks

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Its good to be in business intelligence right now :big grin:

7. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Same reason why I got out of end-user level IT..

I went into an area of the industry that is somewhat out of the box.. and it's worked well for me. If I didn't find this gig, I probably would have gone back to school to find something else to do.

IT is such a weird industry sometimes.. I think this article proves it.

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

we asked them directed questions about anything that was on their resume. everything they listed was fair game to us (though within reason, something 5 or 6 years old we didn't press as hard on).

now, obviously it is tough to remember specific commands and flags while in an interview, but you have to be able to remember concepts. how do you built a VCS cluster from 2 systems with just the OS installed up to a completed cluster with clustered NFS? if they could remember the individual commands, great. if not, just explaining the components that are necessary was acceptable. so many who listed VCS couldn't answer these simple questions.