replacing walking in my cardio routine?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Big_Luke, Mar 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big_Luke

Big_Luke serious as dick cancer

would it be better or worse for me to replace a 30-60 minute walk with 20-30 minutes of high resistance elliptical?

What burns more calories?

2. *Charlie Wax*

*Charlie Wax* New Member

more u work ur heart the faster u burn calories

3. D-GUy

D-GUy Guest

walking up stairs if funnar

4. etech

etech New Member

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1999/10_15_99/petrella.htm

"...
    Low-intensity training of prolonged duration, such as walking, appears to be more effective than high-intensity training of shorter duration for reducing weight and controlling glucose and serum lipid levels because more of the energy fueling the exercise effort is derived from fat (49). Lehmann et al (50) found that type 2 diabetes patients who engaged in low-to-moderate intensity (50% to 70% of VO2 max) aerobic exercise experienced a 20% decrease in serum triglycerides and increased their HDL levels compared with control patients after only 3 months. Honkola et al (51) observed that type 2 diabetes patients who did twice-weekly circuit training at moderate intensity for 5 months deceased their levels of total cholesterol, LDL, triglycerides, and glycosylated hemoglobin compared with controls. These effects were even greater with higher-intensity exercise.

In sum, these studies suggest that for most patients with dyslipidemia and/or type 2 diabetes, low levels of exercise produce physiologic benefits. Higher levels of activity produce even greater health benefits.
    ..."

The information seems rather contradictory but I thought I'd throw it out for discussion.

5. Big_Luke

so what you are saying is it won't make much of a difference? I love going to the gym to lift but it seems like such a waste to drive 15 minutes for a 30 minute cardio session when I can walk my dogs for an hour.

6. Big_Luke

after a good 30-60 minute walk, would you suggest I take the same carbs/protien intake after a lift?

I typically take a good 2-3 scoops of whey and a few servings of gatorade.

7. Undefined

Undefined New Member

if ur main goal is cutting fat i dont think you need any gatorade after a walk. low intensity cardio isn't gonna be burning any muscle. just stay hydrated with water and have a small meal of complex carbs and protein afterwards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.