Replacing stuff in a laptop...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by forgotmyname, Dec 8, 2008.

1. forgotmyname

forgotmyname Active Member

I have to replace the hardrive and the lcd inverter.

The hardrive died shortly after the lcd inverter. I could buy the inverter and replace it myself as well as the hardrive, but I am afraid anything else will fuck up.

I mean what are the chances the graphics card will fuck up.

Btw the computer will be 4 years old. Should I be thinking about replacing the whole thing instead?

Cost of lcd inverter and hardrive should be around $80.

2. Rumbaar

Rumbaar Inherent Omniscience OT Supporter

Junk it, for a few dollars more you can get a budget model that would still be far more powerful than that 4 year old one.

3. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

are you sure it's the inverter? If the lcd is out there's really no way to know which it is AFAIK

I replaced one on a mac book. HUGE pain in the ass to get back together. I bent the metal frame and had a bitch putting it back. In the end i would have rather just bought a new one.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Where can you get a budget laptop for a few dollars more than $80? :p

What kind of machine? If you junk it, maybe I'll buy it.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

The hard drive is a piece of cake... I don't know what kind of machine, but it's most likely just a couple of screws to get it out.

As for the screen, I've replaced an inverter before, not a big deal. You just have to be careful and take your time. I had a machine at work where the back light went. I couldn't figure out if it was the inverter or actual back light. I ended up finding a whole screen for $100 and went that route.

6. forgotmyname

So there is no way to know what's wrong, the backlight or the inverter?

The reason I dont want to get rid of it is because this machine cost $2k way back in 05.

It has a Pentium M 1.6 Gig processor, 1gig ram, and a 9600 Ati Pro Radeon

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

In my case, I needed to get the machine fixed, so I thought $100 was cheap for a screen and went that way. The inverter isn't too hard to swap out, but the backlight itself is inside the screen and IIRC, you have to solder it in. I could be wrong though...

Can you see the display at all?

8. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

The only thing that depreciates faster than automobiles these days is computers. Don't hang onto a laptop that is nickel/diming you because of what it cost nearly four years ago; I'm not saying don't look at fixing it, just not for that reason.

What brand/model is it? You might be able to replace the whole thing with another used laptop of the same specs, sell the broken one for parts/repair, and end up with very little time and money involved.

9. forgotmyname

Yes, I can see the display with a flashlight but it is very dim.

Sometimes, it would work fine but with the backlight on dim. If I put it on high, it would start burning the lower right corner of the screen.

10. sffitzge

sffitzge New Member

I guess I have a similar question, I have an T60p thinkpad that I bought a few years ago and I was reading online about someone swapping the harddrive with one from a WD external harddrive. Is it worth it to try this without having done anything like this before (i would like 320gb HD instead of 80gb), and are there any other simple/inexpensive things I can do to improve my laptop

11. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Just hop on newegg and pick out a drive you want. Just make sure it's a 2.5" drive and has the right connection (IDE or SATA).

12. awns729

awns729 New Member

If you can see it, then its the backlight. One option would be to buy a cracked screen off of ebay with a working backlight and see how hard it is to swap out the screen itself. The service manual might have information on this actually.

FYI, I replaced my first laptop LCD a few months ago. It's involved, but if you're even slightly mechanically inclined, willing to go slow, and can read a manual, it's very do-able.

13. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

typical install for an LCD is 4 screws on the lcd panel...along with multiple snaps all the way around. If you can get that off, that's just about the hardest part. 4 screws typically hold the LCD in place......disconnect the inverter board and video cable and pull out the old lcd. replacement is reverse.

The inverter board supplies power to the backlight.......inverters go bad more often than backlights (from models I've worked in). get one from a reputable company so you can return it if necessary. Or, you can do what ^^^ said, but unless you can resell the broken LCD, you're out the money for something that won't fix the problem.