Replacing Soda With Water

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by rm -rf you, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rm -rf you

rm -rf you Guest

Ok, im young now, and i am roughly 300lbs. I never looked back on me weight, playing football and all, until lately, I am in my mid teens, and i decided i need to get in shape.

I am trying the following to loose weight:

Replacing All Soda with Water
    Stop Eating Fast Food
    Stop Eating Processed Foods
    Stop Eating Fatty Foods (things with major amounts of butter ect)

I am drinking roughly 1.5 gallons of water a day. Am i drinking too much water / too little?

2. Tron

Tron New Member

im trying to start doing this as well

3. TZ

TZ Banned

I think that's just fine for someone your size. Couple other people around your size here say they aim for around that much

4. rm -rf you

rm -rf you Guest

Ok, how much should i loose by cutting out all soda, was drinking aorund 5 cans a day.

5. AzGuy79

AzGuy79 OT Supporter

are you on any kind of exercise plan? if not, and you wanna start dropping weight then get on something simple to start. light lifting, lots of cardio. changing your eating and drinking habits like you are will show results fast, at least they did for me. i dropped 10 lbs the first month, just by cutting out soda and doing some light jogging 3-4 nights a week.

6. kumar_a

kumar_a Well-Known Member

i cut out soda about 2 years ago but i immediately replaced it with beer :wtc:

7. I Pwn Noobs

I Pwn Noobs Guest

i replaced all my soda with water but really didn't see a change, now when i try to drink soda again, it just tastes like shit to me and it doesn't quinch my thirst. water ftw, except it makes you feel cheap at restaurants:hsugh:

8. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

sign up on Fitday.com and log the foods you eat, or at least be conscious of what you eat througout the day. This is a MUST, because most people have no idea what they are putting into their bodies.

I was in a similar situation to you. Believe me, cut out all SHIT foods, eat some lean meats, whole grain carbs ( so no WHITE breads or sub rolls ), and do some cardio (running, swimming, etc) and you'll start looking and feeling a lot better.

Do NOT think of this with a "how long will this take" attitude, because it's a life changing thing. Once you lose the weight, you're not supposed to go back to your old lifestyle. Make a gradual permanent change.

9. cura

cura New Member

My advice is to take baby steps with your diet changes. IMO, I think many diets fail because people take too drastic of changes, and they are not making lifestyle changes.

I used to drink 5 cans of calorie pop a day. While I didnt loose a ton of weight, switching to diet soda helped. I then eventually started eliminating diet soda from my diet, and now I am down to a maybe 3 cans a week. I went 6 months without a soda to get rid of the caffeine dependence....

As for fast food, I started changing quanties I ordered. With that PORTION CONTROL IS KEY (5 small meals a day). I started adding healthy food at home like a salad to whatever I had to bring home because I didnt have time to cook. Eventually, I started my current plan of limiting my fast food to weekends (my cheat days) and eliminating french fries... I also started eating more "unprocessed" foods...

But overall, fitday.com is by far the best thing I found which helps regulate the diet to where I dont feel bad if I eat a cheeseburger, I can just modify the rest of the day to make sure I am not exceeding my intake for the day...

10. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

jesus, that's like 600 sugar calories a day, that's about 3lbs of fat a month right there.

11. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

I used to drink soda, but stopped about 3 months ago. I've been drinking orange juice instead ever when I need some flavor. No I'm cutting back on the OJ too.

12. mrsalsays

mrsalsays New Member

5 cans a day?
    holy shit man.

all i drink is water and the occasional iced tea or something like that.
    i try to drink about 8-10 bottles a day.

WHen i was losing a lot of weight ide drink 2 gallons

13. monolith

monolith My soul grows ever weary and the end is ever near. OT Supporter

I cut soda out of my diet about six months ago; all I drink now is water and seltzer. If I need a "sweet" drink I will have some V8 Fusion which is 100% fruit juice so there are no refined sugars in it.

Cutting the crap out of my diet, eating correctly and doing at least an hour of cardio 5 days out of the week I am down 30 pounds right now in around four months. I also started at 199 pounds so a person that weighs 300 pounds should lose even more.

14. mrsalsays

mrsalsays New Member

hour of cardio is a lot mang

15. mrsalsays

mrsalsays New Member

i try to do atleast between 30 and 40 of high resistance cardio

16. monolith

monolith My soul grows ever weary and the end is ever near. OT Supporter

I don't think an hour is a lot unless you are pushing yourself to the point of passing out. If someone can do an hour, two hours, three hours, etc...of cardio without hurting themselves I don't think it's bad. Everyone has different "breaking points" mine might be an hour while the next persons might be 10 minutes.

17. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

what you neglected to mention is what's your goal, or target weight. if you're still trying to be above 250lbs, since you're a football player, cutting out that junk is great, but you need to maintain your weight or go above a certain weight somehow. maybe keep your daily caloric intake the same or a tad less by consuming pasta, etc (it's all in the stickies). cut out the soda and go for skim or non fat milk instead, assuming you're not lactose intolerant. you want nutrients at that weight, and probably don't want to go under 250lbs if you're an OL or DL.

18. jj1814

jj1814 New Member

geezus!!!

19. MP18

MP18 New Member

you'll lose at least a pound a week just from cutting out the soda

1 soda (~140 cals) x 5 a day = 700 cals

700 cals x 7 days a week = 4900 cals that you aren't taking in compared to usual

cals in a pound of fat = 3500 cals

4900/3500 = 1.4 lbs a week

edit: this is of course assuming you were maintaining your weight while drinking 5 cans of soda a day, if you were gaining weight on your shit diet then you can expect to lose weight more slowly

20. CaliforniaPlaya

CaliforniaPlaya New Member

I tried that but I missed having a carbonated drink and I can't stand diet soda . . . I'd rather do water. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it here, except one that said seltzer. I started drinking flavored carbonated water. Its not sweet and fake like soda, it doesn't have the artificial taste of diet soda and it is naturally calorie (and fat) free. Theres flavors like lemon, lime, berry, orange and a few others, of course plain also. I do have an occasional soda, but thats usually less than one a week.

21. Hebrew Hammer

Hebrew Hammer Resident Jew goalie OT Supporter

I drink propel, it is all I drink now. I can't stand drinking plain water.

edit: and I have alot of green tea.

22. cura

cura New Member

Its an acquired taste. Doubt you have even tried

23. CaliforniaPlaya

CaliforniaPlaya New Member

Tried to acquire it? Can't say I have if thats what you're asking. And I agree, it is a very acquired taste, but different things work for different people. I'd just prefer to stick with carbonated water.

I just wanted to offer another suggestion that wasn't really mentioned here. Especially if there is anyone who, like me, wanted to quit drinking a lot of soda, but still wants some carbonation.

24. kamiraa

kamiraa OT Supporter

Dont drink arizonia green tea or anything like that just a heads up. It has allot of high frutose.

The best green tea you can get is go to an asain herb store and get loose green tea leafs and a metal tea ball. It makes amazing tea, add just a tad of sugar in a big container and cool it over night in the fridge to make a gallon or soo, SOOO damn good.

25. BrownWalrus

BrownWalrus New Member

You play football in school? My friend was around 190 pounds and he dropped to around 165 just by playing football and those intense practices, he takes wresteling too though i don't know if he lost that weight from wrestling since i think he started that after the football season was over..and he was still eating bad and everything, he didn't even have a diet plan. This all happened in a short perioud of time, maybe 1-2 months, but he also takes weight training at school so that shoulda helped. If you take football at school, the practices there should help a lot, especially with the new diet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.