replacing my sub, i need some advice

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by robbinthehood, Mar 7, 2005.

1. robbinthehood

robbinthehood New Member

im tired of the farting noise that my bazooka tube puts out when i crank up songs with a good amount of bass. it gives a good thump when its not turned up real loud, but i like loud music....right now, ive got my amp wired up to all 4 speakers. my question is...should i get another amp to power the sub that i will be getting, or just wire my current amp to 2 speakers, and the new sub? i dont really know a whole lot about car audio so any help is greatly appreciated

2. johnson

johnson New Member

Need more info.

What kind of music you listen to
    Current subwoofer
    What amp
    Budget

3. RayOf86

RayOf86 Life After OT Troll

Set the tube on fire and get a real box (if u have room), cant really say much more need better info. Unless your just not pushing enough to that sub id start with getting that taken care of.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  4. robbinthehood

robbinthehood New Member

-i listen to pretty much everything..rap, rock, whatever...
    -it's one of the powered bazooka tubes, one of the 8 inch models
    -its a panasonic amp that my dad sent me, i believe its a class A, ill have to -check on the model later
    -i have a few hundred dollars to spend, i want a nice solid punchy bass

5. robbinthehood

robbinthehood New Member

also, i dont want it to take up my entire trunk. does a single 15" or 12" sub put out a pretty good amount of bass?

6. robbinthehood

robbinthehood New Member

7. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

The size of the woofer is not directly related to the amount of bass it will output. A 12" subwoofer of one model can produce more bass than a 15" of another model attached to the same amplifier. Xmax is one of the factors you can look at for this sometimes.

Cliffs: You can get a 12 that will be just as loud or louder than a 15.

8. johnson

johnson New Member

How much truck space can you give up? Dimensions?

9. robbinthehood

robbinthehood New Member

i'd still like to have at least half of my trunk space. the subaru site says i have 11.1 cu. ft of luggage space, so im assuming thats trunk space. i guess im willing to give up a couple cubic feet, not too much.

10. robbinthehood

robbinthehood New Member

11. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Just get a sub that's happy with low amounts of watts, you could a 10 or 12 Alpine Type-R. Get a 300-500 watt Class D Mono block amp. Or an inexpensive Adire Audio sub :)

12. rocklee

rocklee New Member

shit, thats fucken TRUE...my friends fosgates 12" he2's hits harder then my 15's (also he2's)...but only reason why is because of my shitty ass amp :squint: ...cacdamn i need a new amp :wtc:

note: amp 1st, subs 2nd...spend good money on da amp, and so so money on da subs :bigthumb:

13. veonake

That's not what I was trying to imply. There are people on both sides of the camp. One who say amplifiers are priority and then speakers, and vice versa. Like most things, the truth probably lies closer to the middle. You really need a good amp and a good sub for things to sound good overall. A shitty sub can make a $1000 amp sound like a $100 amp. A shitty amp can make a W7 sound like an Audiobahn. Personally, I would spend more money (relative money) on a great subwoofer and buy a decent amp (so long as it provides enough power). Or, you could buy a really nice amp, a decent sub, and then upgrade the sub in the long run. But, from the start, option will probably sound better.

In your case specifically, sounds like your sub is being underpowered, which does not necessarily mean you have a bad amp. There are $5000 amplifiers that produce 10watts/channel, but they won't be able to push big low sensitivity floorstanders.

14. 04

04 Guest

Which amp do you have, and which does he have?

It's also possible that his setup is louder, due to different vehicles, and different enclosure sizes and types as well.

15. veonake

I should also add, that everything else being equal, a 15" sub of one model will be louder than 12" sub of the same model because it has a larger cone area. I.e. if you used your friends amp on your subs, your subs SHOULD be louder given enclosure types and sizes are matched up properly.