Replacing my macbook

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 5SpeedSER, Sep 17, 2008.

  1. 5SpeedSER

    5SpeedSER OT Supporter

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2003
    Messages:
    26,618
    Likes Received:
    76
    Location:
    South Florida
    Well needless to say my macbook is getting towards the end of its life it seems, some things are starting to break and such leading me to think i need to replace it (its a rev.1 coreduo machine thats 2 years old now). Im kinda lingering between a few options....

    1. Keep my macbook, send it to fast mac for a new N capable wirless card, new superdrive (my combo drive took a shit), 4 gigs of ram, and a 320 gig hdd, and new battery. Cost ~600 bucks i think, but im still stuck with an aged machine with 1.88ghz core duo... not to mention my case is missing a few screws from being taken apart wrong (had a friend replace my my combo drive at one point).

    2. Buy a refurbed macbook pro (apple has a number of decent options right now).

    3. wait and buy an updated macbook next month.


    Eitherway this one will be on craigslist for sale for around 600... so thatll cover part of my costs. But im not looking to spend more than 6-800 bucks over that. I really feel i should buy a macbook pro, as ive always had better luck with the "pro" laptops (my previous powerbooks lasted for years) whereas ive had horrible luck with consumer line laptops (my last two ibooks and now macbooks have started to fall apart or completely failed at 2 years).

    What do you guys think?
     
  2. 5SpeedSER

    5SpeedSER OT Supporter

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2003
    Messages:
    26,618
    Likes Received:
    76
    Location:
    South Florida
    Also, what do you guys think is a fair price for my laptop on craigslist? Figuring the bad combo drive and such.
     
  3. Harpoon--->

    Harpoon---> New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2006
    Messages:
    255
    Likes Received:
    0
    wait it out bro
     
  4. Jacen2141

    Jacen2141 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2004
    Messages:
    618
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    SC
    Option 3.

    No point in putting that much money in a computer...not $600 at least.

    And with us being this close to supposed updates to the macbook line, I can't see why you should buy just yet. I normally tell people just buy when you're ready bc Apple is always releasing revisions/speed bumps but this next revision looks to be a nice update according to the rumor mills online. I'm right there with you...I have a rev. 1 CD 2.0....it's showing it's age mildly but it's not my main machine so that helps.
     
  5. 5SpeedSER

    5SpeedSER OT Supporter

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2003
    Messages:
    26,618
    Likes Received:
    76
    Location:
    South Florida
    Good advice me thinnks. Im gonna be waiting as the guy buying my G5 tower isnt paying me until Oct. 15th so that works out well. Hopefully my macbook sells soon... then ill have the funds setup for a new macbook or mbp if the new macbooks dont look good.
     

Share This Page