Replacing Motherboard ?'s

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Robb, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Robb

Robb Guest

Im going to be replacing my motherboard w/ a new one that has an agp slot. I am going to be using the same processor that my computer came with. It is a P4 2.7 ghz.
    What are some problems i may encounter while doing this? I am going to be using the hdd that came w/ my computer as well. It already has windows xp loaded onto it, which i would like to use with the new mobo. I am going to purchase new ram at the same time i do this upgrade which will be used in conjunction with the board. Do i just unplug all thecards, power connections, ide cables and other wires from the old mobo, take out processor, put processor in new mobo and place new mobo in and reconnect all wires and cards?

Thanks, ive learned so much from reading this forum, after this upgrade, ill only have to replace my case, and ill essentially have built my whole computer, something i never wouldve thought possible even a few months ago.
    Thanks Guys

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you will need to re-install XP. If there's no AGP on your board, it's prolly either an Intel 845 chipset, or a crappy SiS/VIA chipset. Either way, it'll run like shit until you format and re-install with the proper chipset drivers.

Otherwise its a pretty straight forward swap.

3. Poon

Poon New Member

That's right

4. Robb

Robb Guest

How would i go about reformating anf re-install? I just download the mobo drivers off their website? Thanks
    Will i lose all my info on my hdd if i do this as well?

Thanks

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes, you'd lose anything on your hdd if you do this. Burn a CD with your documents on it.

Your new mobo will have drivers on a cd packaged with it. Buy an Intel mobo with the 865 chipset. Such as the Intel D865GLCL.

6. Poon

Poon New Member

D865GLCL not bad but I dont like the Onboard Video

ASUS P4P800 SE It's a lot better c it your self

7. Poon

Poon New Member

And no raid for D865GLCL

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

okay, so do the D865PERLL.

I'm not a fan of Asus boards. For the intel platform, you cannot beat an intel mobo. For the AMD platform, I'm a big fan of MSI.

9. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

You're gonna need a XP CD. If the manufacturer of your computer supplied restore disks rather than a real XP CD, you may have to purchase a copy.

10. Poon

Poon New Member

OMG its just a brand name I care about quality more than dumb brand

11. Robb

Robb Guest

I believe i am going with the asrock p4v88 that you suggested, that may not be the exact model, cant remember but the one that you suggested in my other thread.
    One last question for now, i am getting a 200gb hdd for xmas, would it be best to have the xp on that hdd or my current 80 gb hdd?

12. Poon

Poon New Member

80GB for XP
    200GB for software & Gaming

MOBO
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-484&depa=0

13. who?

who? Guest

somewhat similar to the original topic, but what if i'm replacing my motherboard, but it's just a straight swap? theres an agp slot on both MB's, im re-using all ram and drives and stuff

14. anjego

anjego Invading your economy!

i've done this before without a reformat. you need to install the drivers ahead of time, then install it into the chassis.

it was a couple years ago, though.. so i dont remember the exact process :hs:

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you can do it w/o a format, but it'll never run as well as it could if you did a format/install.

16. Robb

Robb Guest

how does one do a format? Just place the xp install in the cd rom before booting it up the first time?