Replacing laptop DVD drive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kYd, Dec 15, 2006.

1. kYd

kYd New Member

Any one know how to replace a Sony (FS115B) laptop DVD drive mine broke a while ago (just wont play CD's or anything without me giving it a serious few wacks first).

I desperatley need to replace my Harddrive and can't unless I get my DVD drive working so I can re-install Windows.

:hsd:

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Google Sony Laptop Parts and check the websites/contact their tech support to find out what part # you need. Once you figure out the part number you need you can shop around a bit easier. Shop around though, the price difference on laptop parts can be crazy from one place to another.

3. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Another options is that you can purchase a generic laptop-style optical drive (they use them in 1U servers and some small form factor boxes), and take the faceplate off the current drive and just move it to the new drive. There are issues with this occasionally, depending on how the drive mounts and connects. I've done this successfully in Dell and Compaq laptops, but not in a Sony. The advantage with this, is that it would likely be quite a bit cheaper than going with a Sony part.