Replacing Laptop DVD Drive Dangers?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dystinct, Feb 26, 2008.

1. dystinct

dystinct New Member

I want to swap my CD-RW in my Gateway M275 with a DVD-RW instead. I did some searching and an OEM replacement is $150+. So I went to my small local computer shop and the guy at the counter warned me that if I don't get the OEM drive that it might fry my motherboard.. or the drive socket on the board at best leaving me screwed so I best get the OEM drive. Does this sound logical at all?

I did some searching and found that people have replaced the "OEM" Matshita UJ-812B, although in other types of laptops (Sony Viao specifically), with a Optiarc AD-5540A which I found for about $40.

Can anybody give me some insight here? I've never really messed around with laptop internal hardware and the guy at the store made me feel like I shouldn't go a step farther.

2. BlackWRX

BlackWRX New Member

sounds ridiculous..the only thing that would matter is the bezel on the drive.

don't take my word for it though

3. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Don't really know much about laptops so not sure... but I am pretty sure the only thing to worry about when changing components out in laptops is that they fit. I don't see how it would "fry" the motherboard.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The drive in your machine probably has rails that will need to be removed and mounted onto the new drive. The bezel is the biggest problem, though; if they're not the same shape, 99% of the time you're boned.

5. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

why not just get an external dvd-rw?

6. dystinct

dystinct New Member

His argument was that if the drive wasn't manufactured for the laptop specifically that it may not line up with the port on the motherboard correctly. So if the pins are shifted just one spot off when the system powers up that it could fry something. I know from trying to put the drive from another laptop I have into the one I want to replace that not all drives are created equal in thickness.. so I'm just assuming I can find a drive with the same thickness, swap bezel and mounting rail thing on the back, and all will be peachy. I hope.. lol

And I want an internal only for convenience.

7. BlackWRX

BlackWRX New Member

The only thing that would happen in that situation is somehow destroying the drive..not the computer. And I HIGHLY doubt there is much variation in slim laptop drives and their internal connections.

8. johnson

johnson New Member

The biggest problem is the bezel. When you switch out the drives you change the rails and the adapter on the rear. Laptop drives are the same dimensionally unless it's the ultra thin ones.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That's BS. The port on the back of every IDE laptop DVD drive is exactly the same. (There might be a proprietary adaptor attached to that port, but it comes off as easily as the mounting rails.)

10. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

I know eBay is the new great devil, but that's where I got my OEM replacement DVD-RW drive for this laptop. Same color/size bezel, no installation incompatibilities, way cheaper than a brand new one right from the OEM. Just slid the CD-RW drive out, slid the DVD-RW drive in. :dunno: