Replacing Boot Drive - having SERIOUS issues

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Blazed Monkey, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Blazed Monkey

Blazed Monkey It puts the lotion on its skin....

My main boot drive is failing slowly, so I've bought another drive to replace it. I'm trying to just replace the boot drive with the new drive, but I'm having issues along the way.

I've used Norton Ghost to copy all the files from the boot drive over to the new drive, then just swap the drives out. Whenever I do this, it won't boot windows, it just gives me the message "No OS Found, Press any key to boot from CD". Same thing happens if I use DOS utilities to copy over all the data to the new HDD and swap the drives.

I've even gone through, moved all the data to the new drive, and gone through Regedit to change the drive letters so that the new drive is drive C:, then turned the PC off, swapped the drives, and tried to boot like that, but no dice.

What am I doing wrong here?
    What is the proper way to successfully copy and replace your boot drive?

2. mace

mace i don't read

try and boot with the windows disc, go to the repair console and type fixboot c: and fixmbr.

if this doesn't work, try the repair thingy on the windows disc.

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

To me, the proper way would be to install the new drive, format, install Windows, and then put in your old drive in as a slave and then copy your data over.

That way, you'll be starting off with a fresh copy of Windows.

I never had much luck with Norton Ghost either.

4. Blazed Monkey

Blazed Monkey It puts the lotion on its skin....

that worked! Thanks :wavey: :bigthumb:

5. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

this is what i've always done. i just ignore all the system info on the outgoing drive once the new one is installed and booted up, then copy the saved files over.

the one drawback to this is that you have to reinstall all the apps that were on the pc. personally, this hasnt been a problem, but i know it could be for some.