Replacing blown out component woofers in my bookshelf speakers.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by WS6Formula350, Jan 10, 2005.

1. WS6Formula350

WS6Formula350 molestache amririte?

Well I got these as a hand me down since my parents got a home theater setup to replace their old malfunctioning gear. I got two Marantz speaker cabinets and two Realistic Radio Shack specials. The woofers in the Realistics are hosed, the cone basically crumbled away I guess. So I'm looking for an 8" woofer to replace the busted ass ones, and I came here seeking recommendations. I took some pics of the speaker cabinet it came out of, it's vented at the top for the woofer. The edge that the speaker mounts to are a quarter inch deep on the enclosure. The box is 19" tall and about 6" deep on the inside so there's plenty of mounting depth. One of them is next to a TV so something shielded is needed I suppose. I'm not an audio phile by any means, but I would like something with decent bass for about $40 a woofer that I can hook up, screw in, get decent sound and not worry about blowing out.

The speakers are all hooked up to an Optimus receiver (another Radio Shack special :o ), which I know nothing about. The two Marantz cabinets really lay down some bass though, so I guess the receiver can put out a decent amount of power (I don't have the booklet for it, so I don't know anything about amp power, etc).

My only gripe about the Marantz's is they don't have a very clear treble output, which the Realistics actually did better.

Pics of the busted ass units:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks guys.

2. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

3. WS6Formula350

WS6Formula350 molestache amririte?

ironically, those were the same ones i was looking at myself before i posted. is there anything in particular i should be looking out for when buying, and any specific model you recommend? it looks like most of their stuff is down in the 27-3000hz range, and i'm thinking that sounds like it's going to pretty much cover the low end :o

i know zilch about speakers. as a foot note, you have any good links where i could read up on this stuff? thanks

4. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator