Replacing a hard drive in a PowerBook..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Feb 20, 2008.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

Is it easy to do? Someone has a 12" PowerBook for sale on my local craigslist but it has a bad HD. Thinking about grabbing it for my girlfriend.

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

3. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i did mine. just keep up with the screws and which ones go where and you'll be fine

4. verbal

verbal Active Member

$350 for a 12" PB G4 with a bad HD?

5. verbal

verbal Active Member

I just realized I have no clue what kind of HD to I need. Size? Connection?

Any recommendations?

6. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

link to ad? i want to buy

7. verbal

verbal Active Member

She's really asking $400, but keeps ignoring my offer for $350.

8. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

thats a hell of a deal. my girlfriend actually has that laptop but her wireless card doesnt work (connection to logic board has gone bad) - so its pretty worthless.

it doesnt like usb wireless sticks either.

9. verbal

verbal Active Member

Just realized that it's one of the first PowerBooks. 266mhz FSB and Airport Extreme card ready. So that means I need a new HD and the airport card. Still a hell of a deal?

I have two 512 PC2700 chips that I had in my 15" PB. I know memory will clock down, but would have any problems using them in this PC2100 PowerBook? Or should I get PC2100 chips?

10. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

any 2.5" hd

is it an aluminum pb?

11. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

12" implies that it's aluminum. it's probably an 867MHz machine, with the Airport Extreme card as an option, like was said earlier.

verbal, FYI the aluminum powerbook G4s are all a fucking bitch to disassemble. Even Apple authorized techs can take 15+ minutes to get one open. If you look at the ifixit guide posted earlier, you have to do shit like remove keys from the keyboard to work on the computer :wtf: Just make sure you want to go through all that shit before you pull the trigger.

12. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i wouldnt come near calling it a bitch to disassemble. its a lot of screws but it is by no means hard or in depth. 15+ minutes to get one open? i must be the best ever b/c it took like 6 at most. and thats probably stretching it on the long end

13. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

The Al Powerbooks are notorious, dude. Most people end up snapping a key clean off the keyboard when they start off, and it's downhill from there. Other World Computing has a handy tech center where they show you videos of how to install parts on most recent Macs, and the one computer they leave out of all the vids is the Al Powerbooks because they don't want to encourage people to try.

If you did it then more power to you, but it's probably not something the average person wants to take on :dunno: Then again I've taken an eMate apart before, so you know I'm a glutton for punishment :p

14. nikocb

nikocb New Member

I'm having a hdd problem with my PB too..where's the best place to buy a new hdd?

15. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i got mine from newegg. they had the cheapest 80gb at the time

16. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Make sure it's IDE (or PATA as it's sometimes called) and not SATA which are becoming more common then the older IDE now.

17. verbal

verbal Active Member

It's a 12" Al PB. 1 ghz.

18. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

this is correct. i dont know why i didnt think about sata drives

19. verbal

verbal Active Member

You guys still think it's worth it? 12 1ghz PB with a bad HD for $400? I'm offering $350.

20. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I'm gonna say "no". $350 for the machine plus another $100 or so for a decent size drive and you're at least 1/2 way there to getting a new MacBook. I'd save the money and put it towards a new machine. 1GHz G4 is only going to get you by doing basic stuff like browsing and email. Save the money for a machine that will last you longer.

21. verbal

verbal Active Member

Yeah, but it would be replacing my girlfriends POS windows computer. I already have a 15" PB. All she does is web browsing, email, and myspace.

Main reason I want to get her an Apple is so she can have access to my iPhoto library so she can do whatever she wants with the pics. And so she can use iCal and sync it to my iCal.

22. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Another thing you may need to look at is how old is the battery on it and will it need to be replaced soon. Battery runs about $100 or maybe a bit less if you get a knock-off on eBay. Unless she doesn't mind being plugged in all the time.

23. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i say its worth it but not over $350.

you can get a drive cheap on ebay (my 80gb was only like $60 shipped brand new from newegg). other than that, yeah check the battery life. but i'd probably do it if its just going to be used like you say it is