replaced motherboard, now no PCI

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by blinger, Aug 11, 2009.

1. blinger

blinger Guest

motherboard died on me so I had it sent back and replaced with the same board, only new. Now, none of the PCI audio cards that I stick in the PC are recognized. I'm thinking there is something extra I need to be doing, but have exhausted all options. There is also a "press f8 to enable system configuration" thing on start up, right above the option to select DEL to enter setup. No matter what button combo's or what I change and save in the BIOS, I cannot seem to get this message to go away. hallppp:hs:

2. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

what kind of system is this?

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It sounds like it's just missing the drivers for the audio cards.

Also, who cares if the "Press F8..." thing shows up? Does it not continue to boot normally?

4. caddymac

caddymac New Member

What if he was remote desktoping into that computer and routinely did remote reboots?

5. blinger

blinger Guest

it will continue to boot normally, so thats not an issue. it doesn't bother me if the press f8 thing pops up, i just want the PC to function as it should.

Also, i've tried installing the drivers for the card, but it doesn't find the hardware present so the install fails. nothing shows in device manager

6. blinger

blinger Guest

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Hmm. Pull out the audio card and wipe the gold contacts with an alcohol pad?

Also, if Windows can't talk to the chipset properly, it won't be able to talk to the add-on cards properly either. If you haven't installed the chipset driver package for your new motherboard, do that now. If that doesn't help, running a repair installation from the Windows Install CD should work. However, you may have to reinstall Windows altogether to get it to behave properly.