Repartitioning HDD

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by airbag22, May 22, 2006.

1. airbag22

airbag22 New Member

I want to instal linux side by side with XP. Anyone know any good (free?) partition programs that wont destroy my data? i am using NTFS currently.

2. JaJae

JaJae New Member

I've always used partition magic. It's not too pricey and well worth it. I wouldn't recommend a free program if you're interested in keeping your data.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

some linux distros (I think ubuntu) will do it free, with no warranty, of course. Personally, I like Partition Magic, but it's not free.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yes, Ubuntu does resize NTFS partitions. As a precaution, when I tried using Ubuntu for a while, I first used Norton Speed Disk to safely pack all my NTFS files up against the opposite end of the hard drive from where the space for the linux partition was going to be carved out.

If the idea of resizing a partition that is in-use bothers you, my favorite method is to use Norton Ghost to store copies of my existing partitions, then use the Windows Install CD to erase the hard drive and recreate the new partitions the way I want them, then restore my data from the Norton Ghost backups I made. Thus far, it's worked every time, though it's not point-and-click easy the way Partition Magic is.