GUN Repairing a cracked forend

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by droopz, Sep 16, 2009.

1. droopz

droopz New Member

Got myself a decent sized crack that I need to close up while I refinish stock and forend.

Researching the topic gives conflicting methods so I figured i'd ask here.

[​IMG][/img]

The area is too thin to dowl or pin so I figured i'd just epoxy and clamp?

Some places say to soak it first to get it to swell, and others say outright not to. :noes:

Anyone in WMD repaired something similar? :dunno:

2. SNDP

SNDP New Member

take a couple toothpics and spread it a little... then try one of two things:

watered down gorilla snot, like half and half. wet the insides of the crack a bit, let it get into the wood for like ten minutes, then use a toothpick to get the gorilla snot way in there. the water will help draw the gorilla snot into all the little tiny cracks.

Or, super glue, get some with a brush applicator on the dry wood, way down in the crack. Less is more with either glue. Dont want so much it comes out too much when you close the crack..

remove the toothpicks and wrap the stock tight with surgical tubing for a couple days.

enjoy.

3. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

What does this belong to?

4. droopz

droopz New Member

its just on a Mod 66 Winchester. Not a big dollar gun or collector, I just wanted to give it a freshen up. I've just finished rebluing the metals and it came out ok for a DIY job.

Shame Duracoat is nearly impossible to find in Australia. :(

I've got some Aroldite epoxy that ill mix up and try to stick in there with tooth picks and see how we go.

5. BLH

BLH Member

Get some good ole fashioned type III wood glue and use a toothpick/string to get in in the crack, clamp, and let dry.

6. droopz

droopz New Member

Unfortunatly there was just far too much shrinkage for it to be able to be clamped close. After striping it it would apear there was a similar crack beside it that has been repaired. As a result even 24hr epoxy wouldnt hold it closed on the bench, let alone with the barrel and mag tube pushed in.

On to plan b.

7. droopz

droopz New Member

Well she's almost all done. Just need to let the varnish cure over night then polish shit out of it.

[​IMG]

I think it came out OK for a first timers DIY re-bluing, stock referbish and action rebuild/tighten/lube :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009