Repaired system via XP CD, now more probs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SeeVinceRun, Feb 20, 2009.

1. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

Hey all.

I repaired a corrupt XP install using the system disc, and got it to boot back into windows just fine. My original plan was to save all the data I could, then do a fresh reinstall HOWEVER the client doesn't want me to reinstall. Fine, whatever, its their machine.

The problem I have is that programs aren't launching. Internet browsers wont open, just send me a unexpected program error, same with AVG, blah blah, pretty much anything just crashes.

My question is - what is going on with this? Is it due to my system folder restore? Is it more than likely pre-exsisting? Virus? Is there a step I missed when repairing windows?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks all.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I'm not kidding when I say this, I would tell them get back to me when they're ready to accept that I'm going to be reinstalling the computer.

3. SeeVinceRun

I wish I could.

Im not in the business of keeping a corrupted install of windows limping along to save internet poker and railroad tycoon.

4. Krakerjak

Krakerjak Active Member

Just tell them that the only way to fix it is to reinstall
    Simple as that, there are no workarounds....whether there are or not

It will be the quickest and most efficient way, and cheapest option for them...so lie if you have to

5. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

They probably had SP2 or 3 and you repaired with a pre SP1 CD.

6. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Tell them to take it to someone who knows what they are doing imo.

7. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Well I'd atleast try a few things first before resorting to a reinstall.

It could be something as simple as a bad piece of malware/spyware. Spybot Search & Destroy would be my first port of call before taking further action.

Then I'd use a program like tune up utilities 2009 to check the disk(s) for errors, defrag the drive(s), clear the registry, defrag the registry and just generally give it some tlc.

With a problem like this you should be doing all of those things -that's basic maintenance.

If that doesn't work then I'd uninstall the troubled programs and reinstall. The ones you mentioned are free.

Finally, if all that doesn't sort things out I'd backup their files just incase, and attempt to revert to a restore point.

Now you can say 'Look, I've tried all this to fix the problem, there is nothing more I can do' instead of just getting rid of every problem with a reinstall.

Is this your profession?

8. SeeVinceRun

negative.

9. SeeVinceRun

:rolleyes:

I forgot you can whittle a computer out of beach wood and make it run by telling it how much code you know. Maybe you can insult this PC into working for me.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  10. SeeVinceRun

I tried running all sorts of malware/virus programs but no program other than the basic OS programs will work. I cant even launch stuff using command.

I also uninstalled and tried to reinstall all programs that didnt work, still no dice. installers wont finish, they just error out. Same with restore points.

I ended up backing up all her "super important documents", scanning them all for viruses then putting a clean install back on there. Ive had enough with trying to fix a thousand little problems individually when I can fix them all in one move.

11. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

It's obvious you know what you are doing here. :rofl:

:io:

12. SeeVinceRun

PC was SP3, used SP3 xp to repair? I mean, is there something else here im missing, or did you just misunderstand what I said.

13. CodeX

CodeX Guest

That is basically how you make a computer "run", yes :rofl:

14. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Biological computing is the future :dunno:

15. SeeVinceRun

Shame on me for thinking that you would try and be helpful to someone who is actually trying to do what the customer wants. I forgot you just like to come into random threads and use lots of quotes and talk about how much more you know than everyone.

How does that usually end for you, BTW?

16. SeeVinceRun

Soon the world will be run solely by CodeX and his massive brain.

17. CodeX

CodeX Guest

lol at how upset you are getting. You are no doubt charging this person for your services (in that you referred to them as your client), how much are you going to pay the person who comes up with the solution here?

18. mondaynightmike

mondaynightmike New Member

Just re-install.

will be quicker to re-install and re-install programs/transfer data than to try sort it out.

19. SeeVinceRun

Im not charging. The customer has no money to speak of, and cant afford to pay to get it fixed. I told them I would do it nothing this time since i know what its like to be broke and in need.

Im not upset with you, its just kinda weird to me that I never see you actually help anyone on this site without somehow, someway, trying to make the other person feel inferior....and usually failing....which is just a double whammy of hilarity.

20. mondaynightmike

mondaynightmike New Member

you fail then. stop wasting your time if your doing it for free.

21. SeeVinceRun

Oh, I already reinstalled. I think i said that in a post above. Now its just bickering between Code and I.

Anyway, thanks to those that helped.

22. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Dont make me link to the dozens of people I have helped with programming problems on this subforum alone.

23. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

I can vouch for this guy.

Helped me get my code working. I got a good mark on it aswell btw :h5:

24. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Awesome, good to hear. So many people after you help them just disappear and you can only assume it worked out lol.

Yeah, the negativity in this thread came from the idea that you were charging this person for a service that you had no idea how to perform. Having worked in a computer repair shop during college I feel nothing but sympathy for the computer illiterate that get robbed blind by those people, most of whom don't even know what they are doing and their answer to EVERY problem is to completely restore the system.

25. SeeVinceRun

Well, you can see how I would get pretty defensive. I mean, this isn't the first time ive had to restore a system file via CD, and none of the other times had any problems at all, so when you came in implying that I had no idea what I was doing.....well....its not going to go anywhere good, obviously.

Not only that, but I wasn't the one who was suggesting reinstall, either. I just wanted to fix it and be on my way. Enough fighting, this thread has been shit on too much. The PC is done, running great and at no cost to the customer and all files have been saved.