repair advice

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Arsenal4rs, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Arsenal4rs

Arsenal4rs BEES!!! MUTHERFUCKIN BEES!!!

ok, so I have my new bike now (84 Yamaha Virago 700). Got it home nice and safely from Ohio.

(see http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2569205 if you want pics of it or details as to the bike)

I rode it to work today, and as I am pulling into my parking space and down shifting, I have a little trouble getting it into neutral. I wasnt sure if I was in second or first, so I hit the shifter again, and I feel it "give". Knowing this is not a good feeling, I turn the bike off, and take a look. the shifter is sort of dangling. from my very non-mechanical point of view, it looks like the pin that goes through the lever has been partially sheered off. theres still part of it in the hole, and I got the part that was still there back in, and I can upshift, but when I downshift, it sort of wriggles out again. I really dont think the guy I bought it from knew about this. I rode it around yesterday with no problems, jsut that extra little bit of kick I gave it seemed to pop it out. Here is a poorly done MSPaint to further describe what Im talking about.

[​IMG]

How do I fix this, and what is/are the correct names of the part(s) that I will need? Also is there a more technical way I could put this problem? I hate not knowing how to describe a situation to someone when Im trying to get a problem fixed, because it jsut means more work for them in trying to see the issue and then resolve it (I guess its the tech in me coming out.)

Any help anyone can give me is greatly appreciated. She runs like a champ though... Noisy as hell starter like most early Virago's but otherwise she jsut purrs like a kitten. :bigthumb:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  2. Frequency

Frequency New Member

that black area you are pointing too should be ridged on the outside IIRC this allows the shift peddle to grip, i believe i have a shifter like that down in my garage.

as long as the bike shifts smoothly you should be in good shape.

when parkign rock your bike some as you try to find N this helps the gears mesh alittle better.

3. Arsenal4rs

Arsenal4rs BEES!!! MUTHERFUCKIN BEES!!!

thats the thing though.. that piece is sort of "loose". IE its almost like its a bolt that had its outside nut pop off. I can push and pull that piece. Upshifting works fine but when I try to downshift, the force sort of pushes the shifter out some, and the downshift never happens. its like theres to much give and the cable never pulls the piece to change gears... if that makes any sense.

Again, I m sorry for the lack of technical terms... I do computers, not mechanical stuff. And this is the first bike Ive had that I have had any problems with, so I dont really know the proper terminology.