Repainted car...top layer(2nd color of paint) chipped/peeled off. Repair??

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Caanon, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Caanon

Caanon OT Supporter

I'm looking at a used SC400 Overall I like the car alot, but there is one part that concerns me. It has been repainted once, though it seems like its a nice shiny finish there are a few rock chips that are small and I should be able to repair fine.

The problem is one spot behind the driver's side door, under the small rear window. I don't know if it started from a scratch, chip or what but the newer paint is basically gone in a spot about 1/4-3/8ths by like an inch. The edges of this spot are irregular, like it's been increasing in size. It's not that noticable from a distance because the car was just repainted a lighter silver than before, but it looks bad up close.

I don't know much about car paint, other than what I've read about touch up paint in the last few days.

Basically I want to know if this would require a repaint of the whole panel, or if it could be repainted just around that spot by a professional, or if coats of touch up paint + wetsanding +polishing etc will make it look ok.

I don't need perfection, but making as unnoticable as possible would be good.(and budget is important)

The car btw is a 95 with black leather interior and the newer paint is Ice blue(silver) from the Lexus RX300s.

Thanks for any help.

2. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

a good shop *might* be able to blend it in :hs:

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I'd check around the quality independent body shops in your area and see what they think.