repaint a vehicle?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Mint Berry Crunch, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Mint Berry Crunch

Mint Berry Crunch Active Member

The paint on my Jeep is in pretty poor condition. Aside from being very thin IMO, there are scratches (from trees & brush) and chips all over. A while back I had a front air deflector break off and scratch the shit out of the hood while it was being transported on a flat-bed. I'd like to get the entire vehicle repainted and want to know approximately how much this would cost in the US.

[​IMG]

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

A factory quality repaint is going to run you $2500 and up.

3. NYM3

NYM3 Is this teal life or is it....fanta-sea?

cant tell from that picture, but i dont think you'd need a whole repaint.

The car seems pretty new and since a majority of it is plastic, i'd assume that would save you a few bucks. But you live in germany so i dont know the going rates over there for body work.

Bring it in, get an estimate.

I wouldnt re-do the whole paint if i were you, maybe just the areas that are fucked(hood...doors). Whats the point of brand new great paint if its going to probably get scratched again?

4. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

Why do you need the US price when the car is in germany or europe somewhere? Yea, if you have defects all over the place, especially chips, it is best to repaint the whole car as it wont cost much more and you get the same finish instead of multi finishes that may be slightly off but not very noticeable.. that may bug you. Without any major body work besides some scratches and chips, it will run $2500-4k for a good paint job. at 4k, it should be almost perfect but for about $2000, you may see some errors here and there like small chips that was missed or not sanded down or filled good enough and just sprayed over, but it isnt that noticeable unless your anal. finding every single little error on the car and fixing it (either sanding it down or filling it then sanding it down even) takes a lot of work and time.

5. Mint Berry Crunch

Mint Berry Crunch Active Member

Because I'll be getting it repainted in the US.

6. Mikael

Mikael OT Supporter

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  7. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

- paint and material will cost about $300-$500 for OK stuff

- minor body work (dings, scratches, etc) & GOOD prep work (scuffing, sanding, making sure panels are nice and flat before spraying) will take a whole day

- spraying will take a couple of hours and then knocking down any runs/sanding & buffing will take a few hours

- taking everything off (headlights, door handles, moldings, emblems) and putting it back on afterwards will take a few hours

- so total time spent is about 3-4 days. - $500 in material cost

TOTAL: $1000 profit.. on top of the cost to run the shop and all the electricity used to run compressor, air duct, etc, i cannot imagine a good paint job done for that much unless they are taking major shortcuts or a amateur doing it on the side for a lil extra cash.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2007
  8. Mikael

Mikael OT Supporter

9. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

unless your doing it in mexico or hiring a mexican with a backyard and a tent.. good luck on a $200-$400 paint job. :mamoru: go into a paint store and ask them how much a gallon of decent basecoat, a gallon of decent clear, reducer, acceletor, activator, masking paper, masking tape, maybe some primer and filler, and everything you need to paint a car will cost out the door.. $250 should get you 1 panel painted. good luck on those $250 single stage paint jobs.. but i guess its ok if your not looking for perfection and just to last a year or two.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2007
  10. Mikael

Mikael OT Supporter

11. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

hmm.. im not doubting that you got a very good deal, even for single stage, im just saying that if your car is worth more than 10k and you plan on selling it down the line, its better off spending some money on a good base/clear paint job. didnt maaco offered a $100 paint special? i can only imagine how that will turn out. :rofl:

yes, im pretty familar with dupont nason, which is a budget line that does a fair job.. also available in modern base/clear, which i heard from my buddy its not bad. im not trying to sound like a smart ass or anything or that im a body guy, but i'm pretty familar with that field. btw, reducer, activator, and accellerator are defintely not the same things.. haha. reducer is to thin out the paint to make it more sprayable, activator is added in a lot of clears for a chemical reaction to make it cure correctly, and accellerator is to help the paint dry faster in cold weather.

you know it takes about a day alone just to remove everything and put it back on correctly? (headlights, plastics, mirrors, rubbers, emblems, etc). i just dont see how a body shop will do it for $400 unless they are just scuffing the paint real quick, maybe bondo in everything they see, and spraying on a layer or two and call it a day.

i think what im really trying to get at is that unless you have a beater and just want it to look nice for a short while before you trash it.. i highly dont recommend anything less than a $1000 paint job at the lowest. 2 to 4k with some minor bodywork sounds about right.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2007
  12. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

I did this with about a grand for a budget

[​IMG]

chroma base, chroma clear and the needed additives ran me about 750.. primer was maybe 200 bucks

13. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

you did it yourself? you mean the material added up to almost a grand? that looks very nice!

14. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

yeah, did it all myself. took me the better part of a year, but I did it myself