SRS reoccurring nightmares

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by radfad88, Jul 26, 2007.

1. radfad88

radfad88 The Batman-O-Lantern

Not sure if I should post here or in the road to recovery... guess it doesn't matter too much.

My dad has been sober for 17 years and is still very active in AA. He's pretty much the only person in the world that I have, and he has been everything a parent should for me.

I'm 19, so the daddy I've known since I can remember is the loving, understanding, sober one. The coked-out and drunk man I see in old pictures is someone I never knew (I do thank God for it).

Recently, I'd say over the last year or so, I've had these really detailed, drawn-out nightmares in which I walk into my father's house unannounced to find him uncontrollably drunk. The dreams have progressively gotten worse and last night he yelled profanities at me, told me that I was worthless to him and that his life didn't mean anything anymore anyway (hence, why he went back to drinking). Also, no one (other family members like my grandmother) seemed to care about his relapse except me... and all I could do in the dream was cry.

These dreams terrify me so much that I literally wake up sobbing and shaking and I can't calm myself down for a good few minutes.

This morning when I woke up in this fit, I called my dad (7am) and said "I love you and I just had a really bad dream that involved you so I needed to call and make sure everything was ok". He assured me it was but I didn't go into details about the dream.

I've never told him about the dreams because I guess I'm partly embarrassed. I'm a big girl and I should be able to deal with the fact that my dad's in recovery by now (after 17 years), but I guess I'm not :-/

Do any of you have any similar stories and/or words of wisdom... how do I handle this?

2. Fachh

Fachh New Member

I have been having reoccuring nightmares as well....about the same thing everytime

I am not sure what to make of them

Don't have any advice, at least ur not alone

3. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

i had a psychology teacher tell me that once for about 7 months she had reoccuring dreams where her teeth would fall out. after she had dumped her boyfriend, the dreams went away and she hasnt had them since. she had studied it and it is linked to some sort of problem, or person, or whatever, in your life that you are either conciously or sub-conciously unhappy with, and until you rid yourself of that problem you will continue to have said dream.

4. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

Kennesaw crew :wavey: No real advice, just thought I'd say hi.

5. tidalxwave

tidalxwave WWKD? OT Supporter

something is bothering you, you are also trying to deny that it is affecting you. So think some time, think about your life and evaluate the pros / cons seriously. Once you figure whatever it is, go deal with it and maybe that'll just relieve your anxiety.

6. Takitome

Takitome New Member

Hmm yes. I get some freaky nightmares too. I think I'm still in the nightmare after I wake up and I don't recover for hours.. hehe. One time I actually called a friend 3 am in the morning and asked her to come over cause I was scared shitless ;)

I think the best thing to do is just to forget them, don't think of it. Nightmares are hard to deal with. I can never remember what my nightmares are about and I'm glad for it, I don't want to know. I do remember and can't forget this feeling it gives me when I wake up. It makes me delusional and temporaly insane or something. Crazy stuff