MMA Renzo responds to Relson...

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Kenny Dalglish, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

http://thefightworkspodcast.com/

check it out.. good listen..
    last week was relson this week is renzo..

u know the drill..
    relson bashes bjj.. says its not pure.. puts helio on pedestal.. bashes gracie barra alliance and so on.. even says hes not down with royler and his use of certain guards..

renzo comes back.. defends gracie barra alliance and any school who puts out competitors who compete in high level tourneys.. says he sent a student to rorions school and they told him u dunno bjj.. says rorion should send his kids to gracie barra..

also talk about renzo in ufc early 2010

2. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

id love to see renzo fight a few more times IMO he and ryan are the best gracies MMA wise

3. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

lol, at relson tournaments you can't use spider guard

4. Kenny Dalglish

are you serious? he also said if u grab a sleeve for over 10 sec thats illegal.. wtf.. way to innovate..

5. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

he thinks it's a stalling move

6. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

GJJ and innovations dont go together.

7. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

GJJ, and especially Relson, is more about self defense and utilizing moves that would work in a real world confrontation. you're not gonna pull off some fancy shit like a de la riva sweep or the x-guard in a street brawl.

8. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

thats has nothing to do with what I said they just want to teach the same stuff and when some one busts out with something new and innovative they dont want to hear it.

9. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

it has to do with what you said because GJJ doesn't have the same goal in mind as sport BJJ. I'm not trying to defend GJJ but it's basically two different martial arts, with one teaching you stuff to use in self defense/street fight situation, and the other teaches you how to be more effective against other grapplers and how to be successful in sport competitions. The two have very different end goals in mind.

So of course certain members of the Gracie family won't incorporate new "innovative" moves because it goes against the philosophy of Helio Gracie and the Gracie Jiu Jitsu system. I train at a Relson school and when Relson comes all the stuff he teaches is not very outdated and still works. His son is like the copy-image of him and uses basically only moves that Relson taught him and he is successfull in competitions.

10. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

that interview was really fun to listen to

11. woot

woot wo

interesting interview.

12. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Actually did a de la riva sweep in a street fight. Swept to mount punched once, got up and ran away.

13. kroneX

kroneX New Member

I think both Relson and Renzo have their points. Both are legends of the sport and even though they disagree on major details of the game it is difficult to say that one is wrong.

14. ZZex

ZZex New Member

We can't doubt that they are both true black belts. They just have different mindsets with the sport. Renzo believes in sport BJJ while Torrance Academy believes in self defense BJJ/GJJ. Why must there be bashing within the Gracie family? :wtc:

Renzo sure speaks the truth though

15. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

wow. first off, I train in a balance studio/bjj affiliate academy (which is all under Relson). I have never had the chance to train or learn from Relson himself, but the interview with him just sounded absurd.

Bjj was first being marketed as the best grappling martial art where only whats been proven to be effective is used. Then all of a sudden Relson says certain types of guards and sleeve grips are not true gjj?

In my opinion, if he wants the ultimate cage fighting art, then he should start teaching the art with no gi and with strikes in mind. Only promote based on success in the cage or ring. To say that the pure way of doing it is with just a closed guard is a little ridiculous to me.

16. ZZex

ZZex New Member

Man I'd be a total failure if I could only stick to Closed Guard techniques. I get my guard passed left and right, but the only way to recompose myself is the things Relson doesn't believe in. :wtc: FML

17. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

:wtc:

18. Kenny Dalglish

i think to each his own.. but no need to bash others styles and competitions.. would be mega in to see renzo igor rolles gregor and daniel walk into another gracie gym n throw down

19. Kenny Dalglish

i think it's silly to call sport bjj not the real bjj.. especially when royler is a legend in sport bjj.. and a lot of the gracie humaita guys.. and lot of rolls disciples and so on.. i think its just marketing.. and rorions kids are straight telemarketers.. gracie watermelon bag anyone? and rener lost in his own tourney.. which is fine.. not everyone wins.. but to talk all that and put on one tourney and lose is kinda meh

20. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

In his seminars Relson does teach alot of moves that are set up by striking and what not. He did a no-gi'ish seminar with us once and alot of the stuff he taught were basic moves he set up with strikes. Like takedowns, or armbars etc. etc. Real basic but definetly with self defense in mind. When our coach told him to do no-gi stuff, i think he automatically associated it with self defense situations instead of grappling.