SRS Renters rights???

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Bella, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Bella

Bella New Member

My family and I have lived in the same townhome for close to 4 years this Oct. We have always rented from the management company the landlords go through (we've never even met) and rent is always on time.

The last two years we have had a mice issue. It took 5 months to finally get the management company to come and get it fixed. November of last year we had a guy out here that just put rat traps down and then said that the mice will come eat out of this trap and go back to the nest. In March we started getting this aweful smell from the kitchen walls.... it was decomposing mice in the walls. The management company REFUSED to come clean it... Said there is nothing we can do, we're not going to tear up the walls and it'll eventually go away.

Keep in mind.. I HAVE A BABY IN THE HOUSE currently he's 7 months...

So about 2 months ago we notice mold coming from the basement ceiling underneath my stepdaughters bedroom. We let our management company know in June and to date they have not corrected it. This has resulted in us looking for a home and we have found one that we closed on! We are still on the lease till Oct, but Im thinking we can get out due to the mold issue. I have brought it up several times and the one response I got back was "spray clorax bleach on it". No one has gotten sick or shown any signs of illness. And the mold itself is in a room we never go in and when looking at it there is no moisture around the mold area. Seriously it's ceiling .. mold, not ceiling, water stain, mold.

So what are the chances I can get out of this? We are set to move into the new home the last week of August. We were going to continue to pay till oct to keep with the agreement, but because of the neglagence, I feel on their part, we shouldn't. But then again I could be wrong and don't want to break the agreement.

I live in Colorado and I'm getting back and forth statements as to whom is responsible for it. There is NOTHING in the lease agreement about mold just if there is a plumping issue they would check it out and determine from there who is responsible.. What would anyone here do? Isn't mold a huge no no and needs to be checked out right away?

2. no lol today

no lol today Soy la bailarina de la muerta. OT Supporter

Go to city hall, man.

Every area has different protocol for handling this stuff.

Physically going there is usually better than phone calls. Plus, you can hopefully pick up some documentation or be directed to a URL that has relevant info.

IMO this should be a situation in which you have the powa. That is a SERIOUS health hazard. Mice spread disease & parasites!

3. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Try calling the local building inspector or health official

oh and upper deck the toilet the day you move out :mamoru:

4. 7960

7960 New Member

just wait until you go to move out and they keep your security deposit because of the smells in the kitchen walls, and because of the mold.

you think you're pissed now...........THAT'S when you're going to get pissed.

5. 7960

7960 New Member

and pay $300 out of the security deposit because they *say* they had to call a plumber :rolleyes: