SRS "rent" while not living there.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by THoC, Jul 23, 2009.

?

choose

1. same. 500.

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  2. adjust to not include utils.

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  3. just storage.

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  4. dont charge him anything.

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  1. THoC

THoC New Member

hopefully this is the right place to post this.

give me your opinions.

i own a home. one of the rooms i rent to one of my best friends. i charge him $500 a month everything included.
    im easy going. i allow him on a month to month basis to decide if he wants to pay 500 w. first check, 2nd check, split between checks. i dont care.

first month he moved in he moved in on the 2nd of the month. bc he still owed money for his apt that month i let him only pay me 250 to help out although he lived here the whole month.

overall i think ive been a very flexible "land lord".

so to the point.... he joined the navy.

in sept he goes to IL to train for 2 months.

Then a few months later he leaves for 6 months.

then he'll be coming back to FL and living w. me again.

my question is:

while he is gone what should i do? request he pay the full 500 for those 8 months? adjust the payment since he will not be using utilities?
    only charge him a storage fee (all his furniture will be in the room so i cant rent it out to some one else if i want to and his bike will be in my garage).

if you chose adjust or storage what do you think i should charge him?

2. THoC

THoC New Member

ill pick "nothing" so i can see the damn poll results.

3. THoC

THoC New Member

im really back and forth between adjust and storage. on the other hand him living his stuff here causes me not to be able to rent to some one else. so asking the full 500 has crossed my mind but i feel dick asking for that.

4. 7960

7960 New Member

decide the minimum you're willing to rent the room for...the absolute minimum (say $200 for the sake of this post).

tell your friend you need to rent the room, so you either need $200 or he has to get his stuff out (said in a polite and friendly way, though).

leave it up to him.

5. THoC

THoC New Member

true.

i guess i want to give him a reason as to why i feel he should pay.

i suppose storage may sound more dick then saying i could rent to someone else but your shit is here. so you gotta pay something but ill compromise and not charge you the whole thing.

6. GuantanamoBay

GuantanamoBay New Member

What the hell, your friend should have the decency to offer paying $500 for those 8 months. What did he say about this situation?

7. 7960

7960 New Member

if this was me, I would have planned to move my stuff to storage because I would have EXPECTED to have to pay $500/month rent, and I'd rather pay $75/month for a storage unit.

8. THoC

THoC New Member

he has not said a word about it. i have not brought it up as this all occurred 2 days ago.

im just thinking ahead to what i should do/ask for.

im actually talking to him at work through IM right now.

9. THoC

THoC New Member

he's working so the messaging is going slow... but so far he has told me that he would prefer to keep the room bc he likes leaving w. me, likes location, convenient not to have to look for a place when he comes back.

im just trying to be nice bc he is one of my best friends and to be honest i would rather him paying a little less then 500 a month to save his room then rent to someone else who may not be as clean/pays on time/quiet.

i told him id charge him 350 a month for the months he is gone to save his room.

lets see what he says when he is done working on a claim.

10. katt_85

katt_85 OT Supporter

350 per month is more than fair while he is gone.

11. uneek

uneek OT Supporter

just something to think about-

if he doesn't pay you for a month or two, would you be ok with renting the room out even though his things are in there?

12. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

What is your opportunity cost? If he moves his stuff out will you rent it out to someone else? If not, just take whatever you can get.

13. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

also one of the factors should be did he come to you about this or did he just basically expect to pay nothing for those months he wasnt there ?

14. johan

johan Active Member

he pays rent for use of the room whether he sleeps there 1 day or every day.
    That he will be gone, is really rather irrelevant.

Otherwise you're losing out on money you would be receiving for the room.

If you want to be considerate, don't charge him utils.

Simple as that.

If he had some expectation of not paying while being away for 3 mos. well that is not based in any kind of reality.
    Some people have all sorts of naive and kooky notions if they haven't been out in the real world.

15. porsch1909

porsch1909 OT Supporter

If he is a friend then reduce it.

16. THoC

THoC New Member

not sure if i would rent it out to someone or not. i dont really have a lot of friends that i would actually want to deal living with. he is one of the few, if not the only.

so in a sense i gain from him keeping the room.

that why i offered to charge him 350.

he did not bring this up to me at all. however, since its happening in a few months i brought it up to get an idea of where we both stand.

we are pretty much on same page. he asked if i would be willing to lower from the 500 which i was leaning towards any way. 300-350 seems fair to me.

17. saosko

saosko OT Supporter

:werd:

That's why I keep business and friends/family completely seperate.

What would you do if this was just a random joe?

18. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

Someone already said it, but whats the opportunity lost? Will you be renting out the space while he is gone? Will you find someone reliable?

If I was your friend, and you came to me and told me I had to pay 350 to keep my stuff at your place while I was away in the service, I'd tell you a storage shed is 50 bucks a month, see you in 8 months :wavey:

Keep that in mind, its better to get 50 dollars a month, maybe even 100 since its your place, and would be cleaner, more organized than a storage shed, and he would have everything already set up when he gets back. But I for sure think 350 is too much. If it was me, I wouldnt pay more than 100-150

Remember, you see him as a friend 99% of the time, a tenant 1% of the time. He sees you the same way. And if my landlord came to me with this situation, I'd be like. "Big gulps eh? whelp, see ya later"

19. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

The biggest factor here is: If he (his stuff) wasn't there, would you still be looking to rent out the room?

If yes, then the simplest and most logical path of action would be to ask him for rent minus the cost of utilities.
    If no, then consider what you would do with the room without him there. Would you set up and office or something and use it, or would it likely just be a spare room for storage? If it would just be storage, and he's a very close friend like you say, I'd tell him to pack all of his stuff into a corner and jsut pay me somethign small like $50 a month. If I really wanted to use the room for something else, then I'd say sorry but he needs to get a storage unit somewhere.

I've (kind of) been a landlord for a year, and my advice is that you establish that regardless of your friendship, as far as anything with your living/storage situation goes, you're landlord/tenant first, and friends second.

20. disley

disley Ooooh no it isn't. Ooooh yes it is. OT Supporter

Would it be difficult to get another tenant, if he decides he doesn't like the idea of paying rent when he's not there?
    By the way I think $350/mth is very fair.

21. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Think of it this way he's not living there but all his stuff is basically in a conditioned storage space so that alone is worth $200-300/mo

22. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

I don't see why you would need to lower his payment (aside from the difference in utilities). Any other agreement would have the tenant pay the same amount regardless of them living there or not. I do recognize that you two are friends and to be nice you could half his payment or something along those lines, but I would only do this if I could afford it very easily and if you are not planning on filling that space up if he were to move out.