"Rent" a macbook whily MBP is sent to apple care?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Naturally Baked, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Naturally Baked

Naturally Baked Active Member

"Rent" a macbook while MBP is sent to apple care?

This is kind of a stupid question but I have to send my MBP in to applecare and was wondering if apple ever gives out macbook's or macbook pros to use while the MBP is sent away? I've had my MBP for 1 1/2 years and have never gone a day without it but have needed to send it in for well over a year. I want to send it in over Christmas break since I will be using it the least and won't need it for school, but I will need a computer for work and don't have access to another one...so anyone ever heard of apple doing this? :hsugh:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  2. trlnlty

trlnlty New Member

i really dont think they will provide you with a loaner mac :rofl:

however, the last time they told me my comp might take 2 weeks.. it came back in 3 days :bowdown:

if you really need to use a computer.. you can either A) go to costco and buy one and return it when your mac comes back .. :mamoru:

or B) buy a mac and return it and pay the 10% restocking fee.

really depends on how much u need to use your computer

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i had to get mine repaired last year (fresh out of the box it had a display problem, they didn't know why, ended up keeping it for 2 weeks)

anyways, it sucked, because i had finals during the first week. i had to use public computers at my college

4. Naturally Baked

Naturally Baked Active Member

whats your display problem? Im sending mine it cus it hisses on really low brightness or even medium if left on for 10-15 minutes

5. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

well out of the box, it had several flickering pixels in the bottom center of the screen. they were noticeable on blues, red, and fleshtones, especially when i use photobooth. not really noticeable on black or white though
    however, they weren't always there. sometimes they would show up for a couple of minutes, then go away. i went a couple of days without seeing them once, then they showed up again. i didn't want to drive 40 mins out to the apple store and show them a perfectly fine display, so i called applecare and after an hour they agreed that it was a hardware issue and shipped me out a box the next day

a week and a half went by. my status kept getting changed. at first they had no idea what was wrong. then they advanced it up to engineering. after a couple of days, engineering figured out that it was the display cord, which incidentally also carries the signals for photobooth. then they informed me that they needed a new cord, but it was on back order because they didn't have any in stock. they had never seen this problem before. after an hour on the phone, they agreed to change my return shipping to overnight delivery

sucks, but i did get my macbook back eventually. although it arrived with a nice surface scratch next to the trackpad area. i didn't bother calling apple about that