Rent-a-coder?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Frequency, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Anyone ever use, or anything similar? it work ok?
    Pros?
    Cons?

2. Juvenall

Juvenall What Would Juvie Do?

They're not bad, but the surge of non-English coders has really been a plague on the market.

From the standpoint of a buyer, these people will swoop in with a really low bid. However, this is offset by the poor communication and in my experence, results are few and far between. Of the 6 non-English coders I've picked up through one service or another, all but one skiped out on me. The guy that didn't was such a bad coder, he could barely do what was asked. What's scary is these weren't the lowest bidders on the projects. Aside from that, another problem many people have run into are the flat out scams. Not the "we'll take your money and run" ones, but the "we'll use a program that we have no legal rights to be using to make a fast buck" ones. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've heard other buyers complain about being burned on a deal when it turns out everything they have is pirated.

From the standpoint of another seller, they pose a huge problem. Not only to they erode the fath buyers have in the community as a whole, the underbids really do drive away the good, quality tallent. Another personal experence here. I used to be very active on the site www.scriptlance.com. After a while however, more and more non-English bids were coming. Many projects that should have gone for $500+ ended up around $5-$50. So the real tallent just doesn't bother once those bids start coming in. Then when the project is finalized, we often see a poor raiting and a "Last time I'll be using this service" message posted.

So if you're looking to buy, give it a shot, but keep the English thing in mind and look around for a program that may be similar to what you're getting done. Avoid the really low bidders and take the lower-mid ones with a grain of salt.

3. Frequency

Frequency New Member

I'm lookign to code...